Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheech

J-Bay questions

30 posts in this topic

We have a guy across the lake that plays bagpipe music every night at 8:00pm during the warmer weather. He only plays one or two songs. The haunting sounds of a bagpipe in the distance floating across the water is really, really cool!

View PostPerformances are at 1am, 2am, and 3am. biggrin.gif

LOL i will probably be fishing... and i am irish and scottish so bagpipes never bother mewink.gif

If there are ny Guitar players out there I shall bring my harmonica.

Also, is the tarmac blacktop or concrete? Can one drive a few spikes in to hold a tent?

I'm pretty sure it's concrete parking because last year i wasn't able to drive my tent spikes in. If you get there early on thursday you should be able to get a spot on the dirt/grass areas.

Ol,bluesguy, I'll jam with you, been blowin harp in bands for years. If your tent in not free standing you may need some rope, buckets for sand, steel weights, or rocks for ballast etc. The google pics dont look like blacktop.

It is concrete parking/camping area and as hard as my head! There is some grassy areas but not much. You will need a free standing tent and some kind of weights to hold it down if the winds come. Also bring an air mattress or a cot to sleep on. I do not know about your bones but mine love their comfort! beers.gif

The winds always seems to blow there. I gave up on the tent as it blows too hard for the tarmac and the grass is infested with Tics.

I sleep in my Pathfinder. I am always so wiped out from fishing all day and night I sleep like the dead.

Cheech,I just sit in once in a while and pretend to know what i'm doing.

Bring a six pack in case we find a guitar player.

I guess I will be sleeping in my truck and using the tent to hold my gear.That should weigh it down some.

Another Question, any bait & Tackle shops nearby? Hard to find Saltwater tackle here in Pa.

View PostCheech,I just sit in once in a while and pretend to know what i'm doing.

Bring a six pack in case we find a guitar player.

I guess I will be sleeping in my truck and using the tent to hold my gear.That should weigh it down some.

Another Question, any bait & Tackle shops nearby? Hard to find Saltwater tackle here in Pa.

There's a B&T not far away. It was a bit pricey as I recall, but gives you an option for worms and last minute gear you forget to bring.

Not a yaker (I wish) but I do fish this area. The best and nearest B&T is Bernie's on Eamonns Ave in Sheepshead Bay; one exit west on Belt Pkwy.

Have a great time!

Andrew

Before it became "Gateways" ....Floyd Bennet Field was a Naval Air Station.

The "concrete" is either sidewalks, roadways, or (unused) runways.

There are PLENTY of "grassy areas" including designated campgrounds.

Driving tent stakes into a runway is simply not civilized.

Treat the place like you own it. There are plenty of areas to pitch a tent.

AMMO

If you have to cross the Whitestone, or Throggsneck bridges to get to J-Bay, stop in City Island for bait, and terminal tackle.(rods and reels expensive). The 2 shops have very low prices on bait, and its minutes off I-95 and the Hutchinson River PKW.