Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RDD

Penn SS Maintenance

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I've stripped down a 4400 ss for the first time. When reassembling can I use a standard auto bearing grease on the gears? Should I pack the housing with grease or just grease the gears? The 3 ball bearings after washing seem a little "gritty" to me. Does sand get into them? I thought they were sealed. I use these reels mainly on the boat so they don't get dunked or used alot. They are about 7 years old. I've had a rev. dog replaced once. Does this part wear or does it just break? Are there any parts I should replace while I have them apart? Thanks Guys.

Dave

If you are talking about wheel bearing grease, it is too thick. Don't pack the housing with grease, just grease the bearings. It doesn't keep the water out. You can use the Penn reel grease, the Surfcaster grease or Super Lube. Put a small bead of silicone (RTV) on the cover to waterproof it. If the reverse dog is worn, you can file it down and it will work like new. Try to clean the bearings first by soaking them in WD40 then pack the bearings like you would a wheel bearing with Super Lube. Makes them like new again unless the bearings are shot then you got to replace them. Been doing that for years on my 450's & 550's.