Daiwa Sweepfire spinning reel

biggstriper

I found one of these on sale for $15.99 at a B & T so I picked it up this weekend. It's got plenty of line capacity and was filled with 12 lb. mono but I put on 100 yards of 6 lb. Berkely Triline XL and used the 12 lb. for backing.

I don't think the reel would hold up to saltwater fishing but it should be fine for fishing ponds and small lakes for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass. The spool is kind of in between the long cast and normal spools. It feels ultra smooth but we'll see how that holds up after heavy fishing.

The Bucks stop here...

Why, what's wrong with it? Is it something you can fix yourself? Parts shouldn't be too expensive.

I'm taking mine out to a field just to see how far it casts and maybe soak a few Senkos and Strike King Shads this weekend if i get a chance but it looks like rain.

The Bucks stop here...

I have to respectfully disagree with the guys that don't think highly of the reel, and I can see from the comments that at least one is commenting despite never having even tried one.

I have several of them, 2500's, 3500's and 4000's. I've been using them for a few seasons now, and only using them in salt water. I buy them, open them up and stuff them with marine grade grease, gearcase, line guide and drag washers, and then use them. Haven't had a single issue with them.

For me, they handle braid better than any other spinning reel I've used, and I have fewer windknots using these reels than any other. if you go past 8 lbs of drag(set by scale), the drag will bind up a bit before it breaks free and you could break a light rod(don't ask me how I know this, LMAO), set the drag at 8 lbs. or less, and you're fine. The reels may not be 'super' smooth, but it's pretty smooth for a reel that only has one bearing in it. I usually spool the 3500's and 4000's with 40 lb braid, set the drag to 8 lbs. and have taken stripers to 34 pounds with the reels, and haven't had any issues.

While the pic below is of a 30 inch striper, I have used that same outfit, a Sweepfire 3500 with 40 lb. braid and a 6 foot heavy freshwater ugly stick to take the 34 pound fish and lots of others in between 30 inches and 34 lbs.

PA200008.jpg

Here's a pic of a Sweepfire 3500 with 20lb. braid that just landed a false albacore off the jetty. Note the vintage 1980's all fiberglass Abu Garcia rod I put it on just for giggles, LOL.

P9150001.jpg

The collective IQ of a small group of individuals here is WAY low.