Post YOUR random food pics....

Rate this topic

41 mins ago, jkrock said:

These ones are just ground beef and onions with taco type seasonings.

I was thinking these pastry discs could be filled with anything.  Thinking of trying a Philly cheesesteak type filling next

Interesting,

Is it kind of like a fried Stromboli? 

JD

6 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Interesting,

Is it kind of like a fried Stromboli? 

JD

Yeah, I guess.  Seems pretty much every South/Central America country has their variation.  I fried them, but they can definitely be baked.  They are basically like a mini calzone

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

17 mins ago, jkrock said:

Yeah, I guess.  Seems pretty much every South/Central America country has their variation.  I fried them, but they can definitely be baked.  They are basically like a mini calzone

The Puerto Rican places use a deep fried flaky, crunchy flour crust, but some Central American places around here use a thicker corn Masa dough and deep fried. Seriously, crazy good. I like the shredded chicken filling. We've never made them, but we have made shredded turkey tamales wrapped in corn husks, and various dumplings, ravioli and perogies both with store bought and homemade skins. Great episode of Ugly Delicious on Netflix where they cover dumplings worldwide.

Jamaican curry meat pies.  Empanadas inspired me.   That, and some leftover ground beef. 

F6940219-ED5A-4BC7-A158-8B6AF35DB508.jpeg

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Tonight's dinner.

jgS3zEjhQ8if1pPa6zYb7A.jpg

Looks great. If I had to guess it is a type of braciole?  I've cut tons of thin slice beef for that type of dish, never seen finished product. Knots on the bottom or side for the twine ,priceless.

There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in something you do it only when it is convenient. When you are committed to something you accept no excuses and produce only results. Author unknown.

43 mins ago, ribeye said:

Looks great. If I had to guess it is a type of braciole?  I've cut tons of thin slice beef for that type of dish, never seen finished product. Knots on the bottom or side for the twine ,priceless.

Yes Braciole. I knot on the "top", but they're round, so there really is no top.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

8 hours ago, JimW said:

Jamaican curry meat pies.  Empanadas inspired me.   That, and some leftover ground beef. 

Very nice!  There's a Trinidadian place a 10 min walk away that makes em beef, curry chicken, jerk chicken and veggie. Until recently they were only $2, then they bumped them to $2.50. It's hard not to grab one when I'm going past.

14 mins ago, gellfex said:

Very nice!  There's a Trinidadian place a 10 min walk away that makes em beef, curry chicken, jerk chicken and veggie. Until recently they were only $2, then they bumped them to $2.50. It's hard not to grab one when I'm going past.

Had forgotten how good they are to eat out of hand.  They must be the original hot pocket 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

14 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Tonight's dinner.

jgS3zEjhQ8if1pPa6zYb7A.jpg

Wow, looks delicious, especially the gravy!

10 hours ago, Seakarp said:

Very nice.

A lot of work went into that. Lucky folks got that as dinner.

Agreed. I made that once. That was enough. It was good, but a lot of work for the end result. 

10 hours ago, gellfex said:

Cool. If I ever see a Trini place I'll order some. Trinidad is an interesting place. Two very different cultures side by side, that didn't blend or assimilate.

JD

Edited by jjdbike