Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smitty919

tagged striper

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I caught one acouple of weeks ago sent it in & got a free hat, & help the tracking of that fish. It was tagged in the Hudson River & I caught him 3rd island Cheseapeke Bay Bridge Tunnel, Va. it was 24" Different groups do reasearch studies. I'd send it in. sm. plastic tag w/ plastic barb

The short answer is that each tag will tell you what to do with it. Most give an address to mail it to (USF&W gives a phone #). All want date of capture, location, length, and weight (if possible). Every tagger/organization handles things a little differently, but generally you remove the tag, measure and weigh the fish, and send the information to the tagging group. I think USF&W does it by phone. In return, they'll send you some information about where/when the fish was originally tagged. You may also get a certificate of some sort, and (USF&W) a hat. The most common tags in my area (NJ) are from the American Littoral Society and USF&W, but there are a lot of clubs that have tagging programs as well. In fact, there was talk of a SOL tagging program here a few years ago that never really got off the ground. Sorry, longer answer than I expected. redface.gif

I just started tagging a few weeks ago. The Berkeley Striper Club has been doing it for many years. We had an club tagging contest with teams of 4.

There is an address and a number on the tag. Be sure to send the number, Weight, Length and location it was caught. If you keep it, you can remove the tag and send it back. If not, just write down the details and put the fish back in the water with the tag still attached.

If you are going to remove the tag and release the fish, cut the tag with a scissors , preferably , or a knife...leave barbed section in the fish, it will not be harmed by it. It will have more harm done if it is pulled out..... HappyWave.gif

We get ALS tags up here in "Cold Country" but the 1-800# dosnt extend this far.I finally gave up trying to call someone that seemed to care cwm13.gif

Whats with the gold-fish patch? Someone not know what a striper looks like wink.gif