town

V-block for drilling/lip slots

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

I will confess I just started to use a same rig to lip cuts after all these years..kinda feels like cheating,but will admitt ,it ain't half bad once it's set up...but I'm still on the hunt for a thin curf blade w/very little set in the teeth..hate lip slots that arn't snug when the metal slides in.

Do you have a stop on the rig to keep the plug from sliding back or moving on you as it beening cut ?

CS-I usually slide the back V forward or back until the plug is leveled and then I cut away holding the plug and the sled. Never really pushes back. Use the line of my front belly hole as reference.

Check out 'Olson thin kerf blades' sold through Olson saw. Still 6TPI but the blade is .020 and fits a lip tight enough that I can stop collecting bandsaw blades that I will never use because they don't cut thin enough.

Very nice!

Capesams... I put a piece of flat stock in the front of the jig to act as a stop for the plug.

Jig_Saw.jpg

then a stop on the saw table to control the depth of the cut for the lip slot.

Jig_Bandsaw.jpg

Thanks Town. Good post. I have been using a vee block but my set up is not as flexible as yours and your post has given me the insight to improve it.

How do you use your Vee Block to help locate your counterbore for eyes? On mine I drill eyes last, after lip slot and after the hook holes and weight holes are drilled.

I insert a piece of dowel into the hook hole and it rests on side on the vee block, parallel to the base, or I can shim it so I have the flexibility drill holes off center like a goo goo eyes

Regards, Kurt

Always love seeing the kinds of jigs that folks come up with for plug building. Definitely helps in keeping things consistant. I do something similar, though mine is not as nice as Town's.

Jigman

Run a nice hard piece of metal up against a fine metal cutting blade at too high an RPM and dull it. It will then cut your lip slot nice and tight. You are basically ruining it for cutting but u then save this blade for strictly lip slots only. I have been using the one I have for several years. Cuts the slot perfect, snug, and I hate loose slots too. Let me know if you want me to ruin one for you.wink.gif