town

V-block for drilling/lip slots

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Alright, this may be of use to some of you and others either don't use a V-block or have something better. I use a few different ones but I use this one the most and since the stock I used on this wasn't random scrap most of you can build one if you need it and have a homies close by. I laid out the template for a friend a while back and figured I would throw it up here for anyone that needs a functioning method of cutting slots and drilling.

The sled is adjustable because the back V actually slides forward and backward allowing it to cater to the particular plug. If all your cutting is done right it should fit perfectly snug. The front opening allows you to fit 1.5 X 1.5 piece of stock with straight lip or even a piece of aluminum (a stainless steel ruler works). I make different height blocks for different plugs. Just always make sure your lip is 90 degrees to the block and the block is 90 degrees to the sled.

the opening in the front on the bottom of the sled allows me to cut the lip slot. the openings on the side allow you to drill your eyes if you flip the V-block.

The stock I used was a cheap board of poplar from homies. The whole template is designed to be made out of stock that is .514". So bring your calipers and check out a piece of poplar that is 6" X 36". Then you can print out the template and use adhesive spray to spray mount the template to your stock and bring it to the band saw.

This is something I have been needing to do for years but am afraid to make the leap. Like the others said I'm stubbornly stuck in my ways. This may push me over the edge. Thanks for the push. Great post.