Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rumble Fish aka Poppy

A night fishing with Plug...

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

A true story...

I fished the infamous north jetty of Indian River Inlet (IRI), Delaware last night with the equally infamous cyberspace (and real) fisherman that we all know as Plug on this message board...

My last rounds of wetting a line took place 2 weeks ago on Block Island (BI) resulting in one of the finest fishing trips I experienced during the summer months in many years. But earlier this week, Plug informed me via e-mail that he just had a very good night at IRI w/ most fish over 28"... This, after weeks of the summer doldrums at IRI? And the best part was that the fish were taking plugs again? Even though I was still basking in glory from the BI trip, I thought maybe this needed to be checked out!

Ah, ah...water temps had fallen from 74 degrees 2 weeks ago to the high 60s at IRI this week...unusually cool for this time of the year at IRI... Was this the trigger??? There was only one way to find out...

Last night I got out on the north jetty just after midnight...Plug had not yet arrived. I was confronted with few fishermen because even though the storm from the previous night had past through, rollers generated by it from off shore, made the jetty virtually awash at high tide... High tide was just cresting...so, for the next several hours I would have to deal with very high and very white water... Dangerous water...water that can sweep you off the jetty in a moment's notice...

None of the other fishermen were out more than 40 yards... The north jetty is about 175 yards long... I made my way past the fishermen, stopped no more than 20 yards out from them and started fishing... Conditions were not good...white water swirled around my legs, knee-deep at times and came from behind and over me... I was little unnerved and kept thinking that the water would eventually recede and things would get better... It was a clear night and just off a full moon by several days... The moon's glistening shimmer touch off all of the white foamy water around the inlet in such a way that I could just see out to the end of the jetty where huge waves violently crashed over the end! Just eerie looking and suicide I thought for anyone that would go out to the end in those conditions...

Time went by-perhaps an hour or more... Even though the water was starting to recede a little, I was not tempting my fate...the rough conditions were still to dangerous...so I stayed at my position. I also noted that I was now virtually alone on the outer jetty - the other fishers apparently had split... Just then Plug arrived. The talk immediately was; that conditions were lousy and the end of the jetty could not be tried for at least 2 hours or more--maybe! Plug immediately moved out further on the jetty and I just watched in silence... He was no more than 30 or 40 yards from me... Some time went by when I suddenly had a major malfunction with my line... I went about clearing the mess which took some 10 minutes... When I was done, I made a cast to see if everything was copasetic. As I was reeling in, I looked to where Plug was standing... NO PLUG! I look harder...still NO PLUG!! What I saw instead was white water coming over the rocks where he was standing... I started looking in the water as best I could - couldn't really see! Slowly, I started looking further out the jetty...100 yards - NO PLUG...130 yards - NO PLUG...150 yards - NO PLUG!!!! Gulp!!! I looked to the very end of the jetty... White water was crashing down over the rocks - "Boomers" as PLUG called them! I saw nothing but the crashing waves... Deadly Boomers I thought!

I started moving out the jetty quick, alternatively looking straight out and in the water... Suddenly, there against the backdrop of white water cascading over the end of the jetty, I saw the ever-so faint outline of a person... Plug maybe??? The light of the moon cast this scene in such a way, that it was like watching a very faint black and white movie from a far distance... As I got closer, I realized it was Plug. Good! When I got to him he was back from the end by some 20 yards... He looked at me and said, pointing to the rock he was standing on "This is the point of no return." Yep, that was the point of no return alright... I retreated further back from Plug a good 40 yards and started fishing again watching all that white water...

Just before first light and as the conditions improved, Plug now fearlessly near the end of the jetty, slipped and took a bad fall... I yelled over to him and he slowly got up... Some white water was still crashing over the rocks! He looked at his reel in the rain of water, turned and hobbled his way back to me... He said "When this 260# man falls on his reel, the reel handle will break, even if it's a Fin-Nor Ahab." He then walked off the jetty w/ the broken handle in his hand... He then returned w/ his back-up rod/reel, proceeded right back to the end of the jetty and started fishing again!

This folks is a Delmarva Jetty Rat and Striper Addict-true to the core!!!

But I tell you this; Plug's bad luck rubbed off on me...I got the skunk as he did!!! frown.gif... I guess it works both ways tongue.gif...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

[This message has been edited by Rumble Fish aka Poppy (edited 07-21-2000).]

Hey! I broke my VS300 the other night. Broke the damn neck which connects the body to the reel foot. Did the same thing with the VS2550 last year, didn't fall or anything, it just broke while reeling in....

Jeez Plug, weren't you just telling me the other night that no fish is worth that type of danger wink.gif. Must be the pressure of out fishing Poppy the Striper King of the Delmarva smile.gif. And ya's both got the skunk to boot.

Plug,

Your ready to come eeling with us now eek.gif, the best times are when a pre huricane swell kicks up and gives you a reel beating on the end of a jetty. biggrin.gif

Sorry to hear about the reel and most of all the skunk but you gave it your all.

Great read Poppy, really enjoyed the style and the story. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

I'm with surfpirate, if there were more guys like you, there'd be less guys like you...and we'd be saddened for the loss! crying.gif Are you crazy?!?!? eek.gif Either Poppy's (delightfully written) tale is exagerrating the waves...or you need a whppoin' for goin' out there?!?! We don't wanna have to drive down there for no memorial services any more than you wanna miss the fall run, be careful, puuuhhhllleeeeze?

Nice story Poppy, throw a rope around him next time and keep 'em within earshot! I know that feeling...Charlie's had a habit of sneakin' past me in the night, crawling back in the truck and going to sleep...when I get to where Charlie should be, he's gone...I look all over...he's gone. I'm wondering if he drowned or went to sleep...it's not a good feeling. Oh, he's finally grown out of one of the worst slow fishing habits....when it was slow, I'd still fish hard, paying strict attention to each cast....he'd get bored, stash his gear, and then proceed to bury himself in/on/near the jetty I'm fishing and ambush me...usually when I just passed where he was hiding. Now when you were just on the front of a jetty, you know there's nobody out past you...so when something grabs your leg hard as you walk back to the beach...yelling and screaming usually follow immediately. He tells me it's good for my heart? eek.gif

TimS

Rumble Fish aka Poppy you sure have a delightful way with words. I can vividly picture the scene in my mind.

I have been there but only a handful of times, usually at night. Each time I have a mingling of fear, awe, and adrenalin when fishing the end of that jetty alone. You are putting it all on the line out there.

Plug is clearly on home turf on those rocks, so I know he must have been within his limits.

Sorry the fish weren't cooperating. With the effort you had to put out to fish that night, you deserved a couple of cows Although I imagine landing one in such conditions would be an extraordinary feat.

You've got to fish where the fish are, though. I don't expect to see them in the surf on my turf until November and December like last year.

Steve

Awwwh... it wasn't that bad. You should have been there Tuesday Poppy, we were getting "wet willies" with each wave. Friday there was a lot of booming and crashing, enough to soak you through, but I stayed back from the truly heavy water. The slip was because I took too long a stride and landed on my heel. My carelessness, you have to walk flat-footed with short steps on really slimey rocks. Keep the weight flat on your caulks. Did you notice how thick the rock snot was Poppy? These nice SE wind generated swells have kept the jetties wet and it has really built up. No tyros in berkies out there now. I love boomers and rock snot, even if it does mean a wet bum and an occasional busted reel handle.

"Plug's bad luck" Poppy says! I had one of my best nights of the season a couple of days before. So I begin to think that the summer time plugging which I so enjoy is finally starting to heat up. I let Poppy know about it, he comes across the big bridge and wham, the fishing is shot in the old crappola! Imhmm, who's bad luck.

Seriously, I don't believe in luck. It's all a combination of skill, effort and circumstances

BTW, I forgot to mention that I now know why "Plug" chose his cyber-space name... The man carries the largest collection of plugs that I have seen any jetty rat with... The other morning as light came over the horizon I saw Plug changing out his lure. His 1 lure bag had more plugs than 2 of my bags together... The vast majority of his selection looked to be Rebel and Bombers in every color combination imaginable! Impressive!!!

If you want to know about a plug, ask the plugman "PLUG." biggrin.gif...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

Yeah I do want to know about a plug,Plug. Do they still make Hellcats? I think Heddon was the original manufacturer. My uncle has two of these that he never uses because he scared of losing them to razorbastages.I like them and have him some$ but he won't part with them. any ideas PLug Or pluggers? biggrin.gifsmile.gifconfused.gif

Plug, I am glad it wasn't a narsty and dangerous as Poppy (so eloquently and colorfully) had me picturin' it! Along the same lines of the signs you see in neighborhoods, "We have many fine members here, none to spare" wink.gif

The Hellcat...I have a freind who swears by them...I don't think they've been made for a while...I haven't seen one in a shop in a long time. I'll do a lil lookin' into it and get back to Brian. DaveC also expressed his deep love of this plug on the phone a couple weeks back...perhaps he knows something wink.gif

TimS