thin wire rant

Rate this topic

dogboy

i was asked to run a new phone/modem through a wall or two wire so we don't have a telephone extension taped to the floor running from one room to another

pretty reasonable request, and a chance to cross something off the honey do list

easy enough to run the wire- 4 holes, a new cable stapler, and a couple of hours later and you would have to stand on a step ladder to see any external wire (stapled to the top of a doorframe) to see any evidence of it

it was a different story when i was trying to make up the connections

24 ga. wire is as brittle as the hair on an old redhead who goes to the beauty parlor too often!

couldn't find 22 ga. anywhere- i was ready to rip it out and run new wires

and it is cat. 3, not the 5a recommended for data cables-it is for a DSL set-up

the 5a only comes in multi-strand fat blue cables that would have been way too big

tried wrapping it around the terminal, which usually works fine, sharing it with the cover wires fitted with a u-shaped spade connector- it breaks every time

got some u-shaped connectors, a new stripper and a new crimper- went through over a dozen connectors to make up 4 fittings that didn't break the wire off while i was putting them in place- i did double the wire over since they don't even make connectors for 24 ga.- just down to 22

had to redo it like 3 times before the stupid thing finally carried a signal

ended up with a junction box that you just feed the unstripped wire into and tighten up a couple of screws- even that was a huge pain

View PostIf the bare Wire was breaking at the Insulation, you were nicking the Copper when Stripping it.

yeah- i figured that out

had to go get a better quality stripper than the one i had, which wouldn't work at all

so i was using a sharp pocket knife, but i'm a bit too clumsy to pull that one off

View Postwire was probably designed to be used with a punch down block/jack that doesn't require any stripping of the cable.

you are probably right-

but even the punch down block i ended up using was a pain in the butt

i finally got it done, and the phones all work fine

our modem was dead, so verizon sent us a new one