Billy 40

Decorative Grips Photos

Rate this topic

692 posts in this topic

Post grip inlays in this thread, similar to the Dec Wraps post. EVA, wood, cork, any grip you do that you are proud of, put in here.

I'll start off with one I just found which I forgot about, and forced me to sart this post. These are grips downe by Mike Joyce, aka Rapt Tite:

DSC01831.JPG

DSC01345.JPG

I have got hundreds of photos of grips from when I started doing inlays, back in Y2K. Learned form Clemens Advanced Custom Rodbuildin ghow to do checkers and trim, then how ot do inlays fomr the master Bernie Cohen. After tha tI wen tway off on my own figurin it all out, had a lot o fhelp from Mark Blabaum and Mike Joyce.

I'm going to try and put up a bunch of pics form the beginning of my "career" as a grip maniac. These are the first 2 grips I made, using drill to sand it took me about an hour to go from square to round, lol. I thenbought a Clemens headstock and support, I had no idea what a wood lathe was at this poiunt,adn I had no help form anyone other than the book.

THe first image inlay tha tI did was Bart Simpson on a skateboard. I did it the Bernie Cohen way, I cut the grip up while at work at a desk from somoen who was laid off, lol. I did the butt grip & foregriip reversed, I do not have pics of both though.

The next grip Ihave a pic of, is the original Striped Bass inlay I did on Triet friend KEn's SMB 1143F which I'm shocked hasn't broken yet, lol. YOu can see how crude this was, and when you look at some of th work I am doing now it's almost embarassing that it looked like thise, lol. Gotta start somewhere. I did a fish wrap in front of the foregrip, and dubbed this th ePRedator 2 rod.

MArk B, amazing. It's great to see how both of our work really skyrocketed after we started sharing tips and tricks, failures and succeses. YOur work is unbelieveably precise, and absolutely gorgeous, the photos are not even close to how great they look in real life. I've been fortunat eto hold a couple of your grips hostage for a year, lol.

Anothe rthing - Mark has a passion for teaching others how to do his grips, and has recently put together the Wisconsin NERBs gathiern gin mid January. A great builder, great teacher, and great friend.

View PostMArk B, amazing. It's great to see how both of our work really skyrocketed after we started sharing tips and tricks, failures and succeses. YOur work is unbelieveably precise, and absolutely gorgeous, the photos are not even close to how great they look in real life. I've been fortunat eto hold a couple of your grips hostage for a year, lol.

Anothe rthing - Mark has a passion for teaching others how to do his grips, and has recently put together the Wisconsin NERBs gathiern gin mid January. A great builder, great teacher, and great friend.

Billy, it's a two way street and thank you for your help as well.

The first couple of grips weren't very pretty (lol), but they're getting better. The last photo is a blank for one of the spider webs.

Here are a few I did a while ago. I'll add more later. These three are birch bark mostly. The top rod has dyed box elder burl, holly, and ebony accents. The second rod has the same and also the reel seat is holly. The third rod has walnut and ebony with an ebony reel seat.

JP - awesome work!!

Looney - that's jus tthe tip of th4e iceberg, looking forward ot seeing more of your stuff posted in theis thrad. Certainly will inspire

MB - pics worht 1000 words

Calmkin - that is awesome. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. That is a SICK grip, another one that will inspire people to try grips.

Only post one or 2 pics in each post, grips take up a lot more space than wraps, kind of hard ot navigate and see all teh stuff.