Proposed change to striped bass plan draws attention. By John Geiser APP

Rate this topic

feetinsand

Some of the quotes look mighty familiar.

Published in the Asbury Park Press 8/19/01

Representatives of the Jersey Coast Anglers Association and the Recreational Fishing Alliance sometimes encounter anglers attempting to influence fisheries management to the detriment of the recreational fishing community as a whole.

These individuals see things from a perspective sometimes so narrow as to encompass only a relative handful.

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission has been working on Amendment 6 to the Atlantic striped bass management plan, and both organizations are monitoring the progress.

Thomas P. Fote, legislative chairman of the association, said at its next meeting, the association will be discussing and voting on size and possession limits for anglers in the coastal and producing areas.

"We will also look at plans to continue the existing limits on the commercial catch," he said. "The commercial fishermen will be looking for an increase."

Fote said there was nearly unanimous backing on Amendments 4 and 5, but suddenly there are problems with Amendment 6.

"Some recent postings on the (internet) message boards have concerned me greatly," he said, adding that some of the comments were caustically critical of the association, the fishing alliance and New Jersey in regard to striped bass management.

New Jersey has long led the East Coast in striped bass conservation, and the association was formed by striped bass fishermen concerned about the resource. It and the alliance have been out front on striped bass conservation.

"Because of our work at ASMFC board meetings and hearings, JCAA has saved millions and millions of pounds of striped bass, and we are proud of the increase in the stocks that we are seeing," Fote said. "We did not save these millions of pounds just for ourselves. We saved them for the common man.

"Everyone who wets a line should have an opportunity to participate in this fishery."

Fote was particularly incensed by one fisherman who maintained that the common man should not be allowed to catch a striped bass.

The individual said that there are not enough striped bass to go around, if everyone catches and takes a fish home to eat. He described the common man as one who is not willing to study the fish and the fine points of fishing for them.

New Jersey's slot limit was criticized as an invitation to hurt the stocks as the common man will take small stripers home to eat.

Another individual claimed that striped bass management should be aimed at producing more trophy fish, and size limits should be increased to 36 inches.

Still another maintained that all striped bass should be caught and released with the exception that one trophy fish could be kept each year.

James A. Donofrio, executive director of the alliance, said he was not surprised at the criticism of New Jersey's striped bass regulations, and those who are working to promote effective fisheries management.

"We see people like this, " he said. "They're elitists who do not care about anyone but themselves.

"The idea that the common man should be excluded from the striped bass fishery - any fishery that is shared by the people of this nation - is ludicrous," he said.

Donofrio added that it is hard to imagine an angler who would believe that only someone who has studied the fish, and knows everything about it from its habits and diet to its biology and lure preferences should be allowed to fish for it.

"If this were the case, you wouldn't be able to take your young son fishing because he wouldn't know what to do," Donofrio said.

Capt. John Connell Sr., one of New Jersey representatives to the Atlantic states commission, said Amendment 6 should be ready for a public hearing in October.

Jim B,

What is an "Elite Member" ?

(Just kidding)

Achez,

Jim Dinofrio isn't wrong on most of his observations though...

These fisheries need to be managed to sustain them and include all "stakeholders".

However, those that wish to see unlimited and unbridled anything, recreational or commercial, need to get a quick check here on reality. Magnuson requires that national standards be met and one of them is....

"Sharing" the fish... imagine that...

Fortunatly, this is one of the first things we learn as children growing up...unless we insist on remaining an "only child" with control over all the toys until we die.

That is where the current problem seems to be for the rec. orgs. now.... Who is in charge ? Who speaks for who ?... hence, this article.

Rhodester

"New Jersey has long since led the way in striped bass conservation". Yeah, the slot limit, trophy tag program, and bunker reduction boats in New Jersey are real fine examples of that, Geiser. The common man would rather buy stripers in the local Foodtown than fish for them, which will be the next "right" of the "common man" in the future. I am not an "elitist concerned about myself" RFA, I'm concerned about bass.

"Where is my mind?  Waaaaay out in the water see it swimming?"

Very discouraging. Especially that there is no distinction between fishing and killing fish. moon.gif

------------------

tophat.gif

Fishin' ain't easy, but it sure is fun.

No more skunks. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you been gone a long time. 

Bido: you guys just don't get it. You believe that you and your special group of friends who have put their time in for striped bass have the sole privelidge to access the fishery.This is a public resource. What don't you understand about that? The RFA represents all rec fishermen not just your special group of "qualified" striper anglers.Some of you are as elitist as the PETA people.

The Common Man.........is that the guy holdin' his batphone in 1 hand, coffee in the other, and pickin' his snoz with his third, all while doin' 80 per across 3 lanes?

Increasin' the size and limit to 1@36", is not excludin' "The Common Man" (he can still fish all he wants and teach his children also), it's protectin' the Bass. The young are the future......stop killin' the babys!

"The RFA represents all rec fishermen not just your special group of "qualified" striper anglers.Some of you are as elitist as the PETA people."

I fish......there for I am! I catch......there for I am gratified! I do not sell my catch......there for I am a rec. You do not represent me.....there for you do not represent "all rec fishermen".

Elitist fisherman........hmmmmmm.......could be worse.......I could be an Elitist lobbyist. Opps couldn't.......was raised to be honest.....damn......I'm, so COMMON!

------------------

PLEASE PICK UP YOUR TRASH! OX 'THEDITCH'

[This message has been edited by OX 'THEDITCH' (edited 08-20-2001).]

PLEASE, PICKUP YOUR TRASH! SOL#342
Quote:Originally Posted by fish'nmagicianI try to inject humor....I often fail.

This is a good example of someone who has learned the tactics of the Sierra Club and Peta and others, use the oppositions statments, often out of context, against them. That said, this is not the first time this board has been considered elitist, it probably won't be the last. No slot limit, 36" limit, those sure sound elitist! How about no striped bass fishing at all. I lived through that on the Chesapeake and it is an option, probably combined with other prohibitions that will be needed to get the ecosytem somewhat into balance, no trawling to limit the by-catch for example. That may be considered elitist!

But here is the real deal. If, and I think that you will find it is true, the RFA and the CCA(s) and other organizations have the attention of the law makers and are considered to speak for anglers they will set agendas. Obviously, this board is read by them but it is not influencing those that "speak" for the fishermen in a positive way, from board members point of view. In fact it would seem that the leader of one such organization has been turned off by opinions stated on this board and the board in his mind is elitist and views here are not worthy of consideration. That is too bad because some real good ideas are posted on the board as well as good basic information AND opinions.

Having been active in the "management" levels of TU, local chapter board and regional council, I can tell you that the "word" according to the organization is developed and spoken at that level, often without too much input from the rank and file. That means that the only way to affect the "word" is to join and actively participate in organization meetings and politics. To be heard by Mr. Fote and Mr. Dinofrio you must be a member and participate. To really have an effect on their organizations you need to participate as an officer or board member and that is the politics of it. It takes effort and time and a thick skin and a persuasive manner. It helps to make sure that your friends. those that support your views, participate in the organizations activities too. They better be there to vote if your ideas don't match those of the "powers that be." Good Luck and remember that if things get bad enough there is always a total ban! frown.gif

John

Understand totally by understanding totality. -- ACIM

. thick skin and a persuasive manner.

John

The poor fish need to have the thickest skin and no matter how persuasive they seem to be some people jsut want to keep babies so there is enough for everyone. how very very sad and short sighted. i just hope i still have a picture of one to show my grandkids. i don't care a bout trophy's (cool to catch big fish but...) what is important is that they at least get to spawn once twice adds #'s once keeps things level so why the need to harvest pre spawn fish...someone said it in another thread : I just don't understand humans, but i can see thru politics..how very very sad.

Jim,

You have labeled everyone who doesn't share your personal views of striper management as:

Elitist

Apologist

Selfish

Blind followers of TimS, and now

PETA-like

I prefer the term "conservation-minded" and concerned with the future of this fishery.

Wouldn't this "Common-Man" who is apparently only concerned w/ filling his cooler be considered selfish?

Yes Jim, I agree it is a public resource, but one that has been historically mismanaged and abused to the point of complete collapse. From what I have read and personally experienced, I don't think this resource is quite ready to be brought to the public with an "open season" attitude. I don't believe that the bass population is not being overfished, and I don't believe the stocks can support the pressure being placed on them. I see the slot limit as an expression of an open season attitude, rather than ecologic based policy. It is not an elitist viewpoint, it is an educated one. I'd like to see more bass being fished for and caught, if it was being done so by a public that understands the importance of resource conservation and catch and release, and has some inkling as to the state of the striped bass both past and present. I have seen short bass hidden and stuffed in garbage bags on the jettys. I've seen guys sell them at the marina so they could go buy lures they lost while fishing that day. I've seen a pickup truck bed half filled with slots and legals for 2 guys fishing together, and I've seen guys boot them back into the surf because they are too short. This is the common man in my experience. One that I don't think should be able to help destroy a rebounding resource just because the law says he has a right to.

"Where is my mind?  Waaaaay out in the water see it swimming?"