How about single payer health insurance?

Rate this topic

dogboy

Deducting health insurance premiums from everybody's paycheck the same way as is now done with social security and medicare just might make more sense than the obamacare mandate.

Since it is an established practice and has obviously withstood any potential legal challenges, simply pooling insurance money and then paying medical bills from it might be the way to go.

Insurance companies could become sub-contractors, so it wouldn't put them out of business.

More importantly, uninsured people, who are forced to let their chronic maladies go untreated, would get the care they need.

How much does it cost to cut a diabetics toes off?

Wouldn't it be better for everybody if it never went that far?

View PostDeducting health insurance premiums from everybody's paycheck the same way as is now done with social security and medicare just might make more sense than the obamacare mandate.

I don't want to participate in social security and medicare and as such certainly wouldn't want to participate in ANY health insurance program run simillarly to those programs.

Negative.

#otterlivesmatter

View PostI have my own, thank you.

If only other people were as responsible as me.

a lot of people feel that way,

and it's great,

till it fails,

then they want help.

that's not an insult KoQ, it's a fact.

those who DON'T need (or don't think they need) the safety net programs,

often begrugingly pay into them......

and resent it,

till the day they find they might need it.

I've taken 2 unemployment checks in my life,

that's the ONLY "help" I've ever gotten.

I think I am set and have my ass covered.

lotta people don't.

so it's a matter of perspective,

are we a society pulling together,

or a bunch of rats out for ourselves?

Eggy 10-13

LAA 7-14

50-50 2-15

View Post

If only other people were as responsible as me.

both obamacare and a single payer program would make people responsible whether they want to be or not

so why is it such a big issue to expect all the people to be responsible for their own selves, instead of just those of us more predisposed (and with the financial wherewithall) to do so?

View PostThat you would even ask that question shows that you have not been paying attention.cwm15.gif

or is it a rhetorical question?

it definitely is a major difference in the mindset between Democrats and Republicans.

the right seems predisposed to label as "commie" any effort to work for a common good.

Eggy 10-13

LAA 7-14

50-50 2-15

View PostWell, my perspective is that if EVERYONE was selfish, and pulled for themselves, you wouldn't need to pull together. It wouldn't be an issue.

let me ask you a question,

you have mentioned you have a child with autism.

is he in any special classes in Public school?

does he get any extra attention?

not pointing a finger at you,

but I know a LOT of parents who have children labeled with various learning problems who have their kids in public school getting EXTRA help,

EXTRA attention.

Isn't this an example of trying to help those who need help?

Isn't it counter productive to give MORE to those kids,

than to the really bright ones who can excel?

most parents with special needs children seem to want their kids mainstreamed instead of allowing them to sink to the level they would earn on their own.

Eggy 10-13

LAA 7-14

50-50 2-15

View PostI think that the people who actually work in this country are carrying enough weight on their backs as it is.

and they are also carrying a portion of the weight of those who don't contribute to the system

and there are a growing number of folks who "actually work" and have to pick up the tab for all of their health insurance, or go without

not to mention folks who work at places like mcdonald's- who have slim benefits portfolios at best

and they aren't all crack wh*res either

my ex-wife, one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet,who runs the activities department at a nursing home, has to pay her entire health insurance premium out of pocket- she is in a group plan i believe, so at least it is less than it would be if she had to buy a plan on the open market

and this nursing home is affiliated with a regional hospital

god knows how they treat the cleaning ladies- probably sub-contracted to some outfit where health insurance isn't even an option

but i'll bet the execs and RNs where she works get theirs subsidized, or get paid so much more it is lss of an issue

View Postboth obamacare and a single payer program would make people responsible whether they want to be or not

A key difference is that I would prefer to be responsible for myself with my money and not dictact to others how to spend theirs.

You can't force people to become responsible. You can confiscate their money under the premise that it's good for them, but it really isn't.

Going back to Social Security, which as you have surmised is a hot spot for me and has been since I started paying in at 16 or 17, instead of letting my save and invest my won money, the government literally confiscates what was mine and then changes the game during my life time (retirement age pushed back) with no say from me and has treated what should be run with fiduciary responsibility as nothing more than a game of 3 card monty and your advocate letting them run a health insurance program, yet ANOTHER entitlement program.

Negative.

#otterlivesmatter