Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Hudson River 55 pounder

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

here's the photo. Just south of the Kingston Lighthouse. New State freshie record. S ubb.x?s=418607442&a=ga&ul=1606021713

sorry..the photo is from the Sunday Kingston Freeman Newspaper

[ 05-11-2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: ScottO ]

Good question. The water is brackish to the beacon region I believe, with the saline line moving north to Poughkeepsie in the dry summer. Not sure what they call the fresh limit but the GWB sounds fairly reasonable. S

It says...

"Record Catch

Dan Mangold of Catawba, NC shows off striped bass he caught recently in the Hudson river just south of the Kingston Lighthouse. The 48.6 inch long bass, weighing 55 pounds with a girth of 31.8 inches, surpassed the NYS inland record of 54.6 pounds set by Rhinebeck's James VanDyke last year. The record catch was certified by Certified Marine Service Inc in Connelly."

The Marine District border for NYS regulations is the GWB.Obviously the saltline moves, but it is usually well north of the GWB in the Peekskill to Poughkeepsie area.

In any regard, that is one fat bass! What a fish.

Was that fish up there to spawn or is it too late for that? If it were, I think it would be a shame to harvest such a fish at that point.

What do the regs do to keep spawning fish safe from harvest?

I have to chime in and b#@$h!!

Why do they allow harvest of breeding females???? What the F does closing from Nov to March acomplish? confused.gif The Delaware is open March 1 to march 31 then shut down again until June 1 to give them a break. Personally I think the March harvest is too much but at least the cows they are catching now are released.

Where is Stripersforever and all the save the Striper groups on this one?

It's sickening. mad.gif