Blown rod in snowblower

Rate this topic

John O'

View PostHow's this for a scummy move. I left the dead snowblower at the shop on Monday, he told me he knows a guy who will take it and give him about $10 for it for parts, which I thought was a lie - since the tires alone brand new go for $100 online. He then tells me he's getting snowblowers in this week in case I'm interested, I said probably, I'll come by later in the week and take a look at what he's got. So Wednesday I go on Craigslist and find a guy who buys broken snowblowers, and says he'll come take a look at the one I left at the shop. I call the shopowner and tell him I found a guy who will take a look at the snowblower and can I have him look at it and maybe I can get a few bucks for it. The owner says sure, have him come by, so I called the other guy and gave him the address and phone number of the shop. Then he calls me back from the shop and says you didn't tell me you owe a $50 pickup charge on it, I said no - the repair guy at the shop said he'd pick it for free since he just tuned it for $280. Then I hear the owner in the background say.."This is MY snowblower, for $50 you can have it." And the other guys says OK, and then said to me "We're done." and hangs up.

So I called the shopowner and said "Rich, I heard waht you did there, that was a classless move, I do all the legwork trying to get it sold and you step in and grab the money without doing any of the work. He said you abandoned it a week ago, and I said no, it was two days ago and I asked you this morning if I could have a guy look at it to get a few bucks, which I would've probably used towards a new one at your store, and you just stepped in and grabbed the money. He said I'm not going to argue with you over the phone, if you want to come in and talk about it. So I went in an hour later and he again said you abandoned it, same blah blah blah. So I said "For $50 you lost my business, and I am going to tell everybody I know in this town, and everyone else for that matter; sports team families, church members, political circles, etc. And I'm a pretty well know guy involved in a lot of civic, business and sports activities." He couldn't even look at me.

I know I sort of left the snowblower for him, but a decent and honest businessman would've given me the opportunity to save something out of this situation, or at LEAST would've said to me when I called Wednesday morning.."No, you gave it to me and it is now mine."

I'm shocked that a small neighorhood businessman would treat a customer like that.

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be folks here who disagree, but I don't really care.

Which store was this?

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

View PostI think Tim frowns on publicly criticising businesses on SOL.

John, as long as it is the person's first hand, personal experience it is perfectly acceptable to offer a negative review of a business, product or service here. It's important for folks to be able to share negative first hand experience - what we don't allow is 2nd or 3rd hand negative stories...or "bashing". By "bashing" I mean unsupported negative posts about a business or product - like "they suck". If someone is going to offer a negative experience about a business or product, it's important that they explain exactly what was negative about their experience so there is a point to the post and it's not just 'bashing'.

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

View PostI've got 10 bux that says it was good ole "Rich" who screwed the machine up in the first place.

Put the name of his shop up here for people to see.

Exactly what I was thinking Sharps, in the same phone conversation he told me my machine was toast he let me know that he had new snowblowers coming in the next day. shakehead.gif

"ALL THE BEST!"

View PostI was told by the repair shop that the rod blew on my 8 year old 9hp Sears Craftsman engine and that it is not repairable due to the inability to get parts and the cost factor. frown.gif

Sound right to any of you? I have no clue when it comes to mechanics. confused.gif

Thanks guys!

Seems this is a common problem these days. There are several reviews on Lowes site but instead of 8 years people there had to scrap there machines in less then 2 years........because parts for these new chinese engines are nonexistant.

Anway back to your machine.....What shape is it in? Do you like it? Does everything else work? You can buy a new engine, there is a place online something like small engine warehouse. They specialize in engine swaps, but after buying the engine and paying shipping you still have to have it installed in your machine.

You may want to consider a new machine depending on what model you have. I just purchased a new Toro with power steering, definetely the best machine I ever used. Never realized how bad all the other machined I used in the past actually were. If you want a machine with options that you dont have now like heated grips, headlight, power steering well now is the time. I would assume if you buy a briggs and stratton engine and have it installed your looking at least 400.00 and you still have an old machine.