Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John O'

Blown rod in snowblower

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

I was told by the repair shop that the rod blew on my 8 year old 9hp Sears Craftsman engine and that it is not repairable due to the inability to get parts and the cost factor. frown.gif

Sound right to any of you? I have no clue when it comes to mechanics. confused.gif

Thanks guys!

View PostI was told by the repair shop that the rod blew on my 8 year old 9hp Sears Craftsman engine and that it is not repairable due to the inability to get parts and the cost factor. frown.gif

Some right to any of you? I have no clue when it comes to mechanics. confused.gif

Thanks guys!

If the rest of the blower is in good shape, you could just buy an engine from northern or somewhere.

View PostIf the rest of the blower is in good shape, you could just buy an engine from northern or somewhere.

Yeah, I was thinking that, but then I gotta pay to have it installed though.

I rebuild motors all the time. I just rebuilt my log splitter engine last month.

If you have a broken rod in a small engine, 99% of the time you also have a badly scored crankshaft. $300-$500 + for parts( crank, rod, rings, gaskets, oil, piston, etc) if they are available. Then its another $250 to have somebody install them.

Go to smallenginewarehouse. They have replacement engines for everything.

You just can't post stuff like this for Steve in Mass to feed on. biggrin.gif

Don't buy into the "Crapsman" talk. You have a 9hp Tecumseh engine. I saw a picture of Mac's snowblower somewhere. It's an Ariens and it has a Tecunmseh engine! just sayin!

Crapsman may have the same engine but the steel and other components are cheaper than on the Ariens.cwm15.gif Get what you pay for....

New Ariens with Briggs and Stratton engines that were specifically made for snowblowers, Polar Force, tested in Alaska for 3 years before being made available .

Take a look at the Ariens 24" model with the 211cc Subaru engine. Make sure it is the 24" model as there is also a 22" model with a 161cc Subaru.The 221 is an OHV engine that probably equates to about 7hp. As you can see there are no more HP ratings on the engines since the manufacturers got caught rebadging the same engines with different HP ratings a few years ago. Some of the engine manufacturers use something called Max Torque Ratings as well as CC's.

The Briggs powered engines are ok as well but be aware there are 2 types. One has a cast iron sleeve and one called a "Cool Bore" has an aluminum sleeve. The cast iron sleeved engines are better.

There has been a lot of turmoil in the Outdoor Power Equiptment world the last few years with large numbers of brand consolidation. TroyBilt,Cub Cadet, White and Bolens are now owned by MTD and in no way reflect the quality that those brands bring to mind when they were independently produced. Snapper and Simplicity are now owned by Briggs and Stratton and their new production units seem to be built out of the Murray parts bin (Murray being also owned by Briggs and Stratton).Unfortunately the Murray units are also second class as are the AYP (Americn Yard Products) machines which include Husquarvarna.

Ariens and Toro are still independently produced and reflect the quality their reputations have earned over the years. Honda also make a good unit but is rediculously priced and really only necessary if you have such a steep grade that you require a tracked instead of wheeled unit. Yamaha has also re-entered the market but their machines are in short supply and as of now only marketed in Canada.The Yamaha units are priced about the same as Honda.

Re Power-

Small Engine Warehouse has a few Tecumseh engines available which may be a match for the one you blew up but I wouldn't put the $375- $450 dollars they are asking in your old Sears unit.

By the way Tecumseh went belly up two years ago so the Tecumseh engines you see for sale are new old stock. There are some parts available but the supply is drying up. The name was bought recently by another company who is beginning to manufacture parts for the old engines in China.

Some of the Chinese clone engines have been holding up very well and some not so good. The ones from Northern Tool seem to be better and the ones from Harbor Freight less so.

Marc

New B&S engines and Subaru are very good , but I would stay away from the Chinese engines , as one guy I spoke with who deals in small engines described them as "total crap" , he's words not mine. Other than that I agree with everything Marc said.

Check out one of the sponsers in the upper right hand corner of the screen, Snowblowers Direct , you can compare a lot of stuff and get a better feel for what's out there. As i said before , if you want a solid machine , I'd look at Ariens or Toro.

Best of luck with whatever you decide , sure beats shoveling.smile.gif

I didn't mean to reccomend a Chinese clone but was only listing it as a repower option.

In any event it may be difficult to avoid Chinese manufacture as Briggs is moving more and more of it's engine production there and the rumors abound that many of the Honda engines are now made in China.

Does anybody know who is making the Polar Force engines for Ariens?

Marc

View Post

You have a 9hp Tecumseh engine. I saw a picture of Mac's snowblower somewhere. It's an Ariens and it has a Tecunmseh engine! just sayin!

i was picking up some tools for work at a landscape supply company and started talking snowblowers with one of the repair techs

he said tecumseh went out of business and nobody has picked up the aftermarket ball yet

he has a list as long as his arm for folks waiting for carbuerators and parts

you might be SOL on repairing/replacing that engine John

time to bite the bullet

or buy a shovel and wait for the spring clearance sales- after a winter like this, you might have slim pickings

i would be leery of any used machine at a dealer in light of all the snow we've had (with more on the way)- chances are it will be pretty high in price