Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EAD

Reels I Can't Find Info On

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I recently got a box of items from someone who was moving. For some reason though I can't find ANY information on the stuff!

I figured this would be the best place to ask! I'd like to take some pictures and throw them in the FS section soon - but first I'd like to figure out at least some value and or popularity, scarcity - if they are even desirable, as I am up for trading for more modern stuff.

Definently a neat group of stuff. Even a couple original reciepts. Funny!

One of the reels is an old Penn. All it has written on it is "No. 80" underneath the Penn marking. It's spooled up with legitamate twine. (Old school, haha.) Another looks like some sort of auto-wind fly fishing reel. It's green and says "Beaverkill". I've seen that there is a place called Beaverkill, NY. But theres also a "Japan" marking on the reel foot. Who knows? Hopefully someone here.

Then theres an old Mitchell spare spool in the original case. Not sure of the series it's made for but it says large. And made in France so it's one of the nice ones! Also everything oddly came in a Penn 710 box in great shape. Those are for those greenies right? Theres some manuals and stuff in there too but I haven't looked everything in a couple months so I forget what they are for.

If anyone could clue me in to the reels, maybe what there values are or just general information that would be awesome!!

Ed

The Penn No. 80 was made from roughly 1941 to 1951. I don't have any info on the other reel. I do know that Horrocks-Ibbotsen (H-I) made a fly rod model called Beaverkill, so that is a remote possibility.

Thanks for the info Gadabout! Thats the type of stuff I was looking for!

I guess the No. 80 looks about that old wow. The Beaverkill though is pretty neat in design, really shiny but not the most practical thing in the world. I will look into H-I today and maybe I can find some info.

Thanks again!!!

If I remember correctly, the spare spool cases for the Mitchell 302 were labeled "Salt Water".

So, I would guess that one labeled "Large" would be either a 300 or 306. But it's just a guess. I had a spare 300 spool years ago, but I don't have it now, and can't remember what it said on the case. headscratch.gif

Your spool may be from a Mitchel 300 as they came with both a large (marked on the back "large") and a small spool along with a black plastic screw top container for the unused spool.

You guys are the best! (Once again)

I will post some pics today. I just didn't originally because I didn't want to seem like I was soliciting in this forum. (Even though these are the cream of the 'antique' crop.) I just would like to be knowledgeable about the stuff so when I do put them up for sale or trade I can be somewhat responsive if I get some questions.

Thanks again everyone! Will put some pics on soon.

Ed

Here are some pics guys. The Mitchell spool is in a screw top case - so you may be spot with your thought George. I have an old 300 in the garage. I never thought to see if it fit.

Also found out that some of the paper work in there is the manual/catalog for the Penn 710 box I have - as well as the original purchase receipt and the stores tag. The person must have knew the guy or it was on sale - the tag says 15.99 but the receipt only says 12.80. Neat stuff. Also the Beaverkill says "Beaverkill 610" on it. And like I said has Japan on the reel foot, so I dont know.

There was a manual for a Zebco "ZeeBee" model 202 in there too. Googled that - they still make those - jeeze! Not in the cool honey bee box though I guess. LOL

100_0185.jpg

100_0187.jpg

100_0188.jpg

100_0192.jpg

100_0196.jpg

100_0197.jpg