Stella SW Bail Trip Strike Removal

Rate this topic

Plug and teaser

I've posted that I had removed the bail strike on my Stella 10K to convert it to a full manual bail reel.

Several guys have asked about how to do it so I tried my best to put together a how to post.

Some don't think it's necessary and they may be right, I took mine out for piece of mind....and I like to tinker with stuff. smile.gif So I'm not recommending for or against it, but if you want to here is how you do it.

With his permission to pass on the info to those who can use it, the post contains a quote from Alan Hawk who was good enough to give me a couple tips last summer when I first did it, thank you Alan.

All who asked me about it were Trolls so I thought this was the place.

I tried to use the best pics I had,so some may be out of order to show a specific part.

It will take a couple posts because of attachment limitations.

Here we go:

Remove the spool as normal.

Slide the Spool Support Washer and Shims off the shaft as a unit....they can be tight but they will come.

Remove the 2 screws that hold the Rotor Nut Lock Plate.

Slide the plate off.

The Rotor Lock Nut has a seal and a bearing inside.

If you crank the reel at this point the shaft will push the bearing and seal out of the nut and you can slide them right off.

Remove the Rotor Nut, a 15mm deep socket fits just right with the main shaft fully retracted. It is a LEFT HAND THREAD, clockwise to loosen.

The rotor slides right off.

Remove the Friction Ring, I used a small pick tool but something like a toothpick will do.

Remove the plastic friction ring spacer, slides right out.

That's all the pics I can fit....be back to finish up shortly.

Remove the rear plastic cover, 2 screws.

This is what we are after.

Remove the 5 side cover screws, 3 are the same and 2 are different, keep them in order.

Here I will use a quote from Alan Hawk, I can't say it better.

Important before pulling the side cover out insert your finger in the hole where the handle threads and keep the main gear in place until the side cover is completely off. Sometimes the gear will come out with the cover and that would require a a tedious alignment of the emergency brake spring 12443 with the activator 12483.before you can put the gear back. So better use your finger to keep it in place and avoid that.

I will only add that the cover is very tight on it's Dowel Pins, take your time and slowly work it off.

There it is.

Slides right out.

All parts laid out for reference.

Put it back together in the reverse order, take your time and use properly fitting tools and you'll be in good shape.

It's hard to take apart a spanking new expensive toy, so if your not confident I wouldn't try it.

But if you have the tools and tinkering with your stuff is part of the fun for you, it's not a hard job.

Be happy to answer any questions.

1.Same question as above, but for the Sustain and Saragossa 8K

2. Is it necessary on each of these reels or is it just a personal prefernce? I havent fished my Saragossa or Sustain yet and probably won't remove the bail trip unless I find myself snapping off plugs, but is this a common occurance for Shimano reels with the auto bail?

"CC's post was exactly that. It was respectful, it was first hand, it offered details about the experience and contained lots of useful information. There is nothing wrong with his opening post or his followup posts - they have been exceedingly respectful".

View Post1.Same question as above, but for the Sustain and Saragossa 8K

2. Is it necessary on each of these reels or is it just a personal prefernce? I havent fished my Saragossa or Sustain yet and probably won't remove the bail trip unless I find myself snapping off plugs, but is this a common occurance for Shimano reels with the auto bail?

Maybe Paul can answer #1.

I can comment on 2. by saying it is personal preference to remove and it is not necessary. BUT when you start losing plugs because of a bail trip flipping you want to start exploring other options. This applies to all reels with a auto bail in my opinion. I've even flipped a manual bail over when casting. Only happed once though. When sebiles start getting snapped off it hurts mad.gif .

View Postnot sure of how the two reels compare internally, but would something like this be possible on the stradic Fi series? 4k 5k and 8k?

Sorry the Stella is the only Shimano I own I don't know about the others, usually if there's the will there is a way.

I don't think they are the same though.

View Post

As Texican said it really is a personal preference.

To be fair I should say that I fished my reel for a few outings before I removed the trip block and the bail never tripped on a cast, even when throwing jigs at the Canal to a 4 oz with a tail, and pencils at daybreak.

The Rotor did slip a little on some casts, depending on handle position, and I found it up against the trip block on a few occasions, but it never tripped.

I found myself worrying about it, and I would never use the auto feature so for piece of mind I just removed it.... plus I enjoy the mechanics so it made sense for me.

The 10000 SW has a good rotor lock but in order to have an auto bail it is designed to slip, it's a different design than the bigger models that are manual bail from the factory. I don't think in normal fishing it would ever trip, I do think there is a danger of it happening on those casts where you are jumping out of your socks trying to reach fish mid Canal.

I've seen Ditch mention that, if after you open the bail, you turn the rotor so that the trip bar is up against the trip block, it prevents the rotor from getting any momentum and it won't trip.

I've never tried that but it makes perfect sense, if you remember to do that before a really hard cast I doubt it would ever trip.

So there are different strategies to prevent the problem, all depends what your comfortable with.

Not sure about the Sustain, but Shimano offers a kit for converting the Gosa over to manual pick up. I had a 14k a few years ago that I converted...very simple.