Please comment Danny's actions with magged reel...

Rate this topic

here:

" target="_blank">

He reduces the braking force at all way of flying?

Somebody can draw for such or similar case, bases on the own practice, the dependence of the braking force on flight speed (rotational speed of the spool)? At least very roughly, without specifying in numbers, - that is the approximate shape of the curve.

Thanks!

(Or please push me in the direction of the desired source)

Surfcaster. Ul Surfcaster

View PostI find that the 7HT is a top casting reel straight from the box with no modifications required to get very good distances with it... The control setting I have is for field work to set the reel on between 4 to 5.5 and then slowly wind off till 0 as the lead gets further away...

...This is in direction of my question.

Thanks!

View PostSomebody can draw for such or similar case, bases on the own practice, the dependence of the braking force on flight speed (rotational speed of the spool)? At least very roughly, without specifying in numbers, - that is the approximate shape of the curve.

)

Vladimir ,not sure if this is what you are looking for ?

The braking force is directly proportional to the cubic speed of the spool . Don't know exact equation but it is based on Lenz's law .

Thank you,

I want to know the increments of "}" type (see last pic), both "standing" and "laying", i.e. the temps and values of incrementing.

I think in result the desired curve would be close to MagForce-V/Z characteristic (red line)... but better of course. Because the machine is dumb and casting masters are clever.

I think the braking "as is" in Danny's reel is just linear, but when adjusting mags during a cast he, - yes, - change the distance of magnet from spool and, - manually, - makes it non-linear.

The fig above is my very approximate example of such process, with 5 discrete increments ("}") during the cast ("on-fly"). In reality of course the increments aren't discrete, they are smooth, so the final curve descends not from 5 or any digit of "instant" increments but from some phases of "analog" incrementing.

Anyway, in result the alike MagForce-V/Z curve is occured.

Me interests, in the end, the differences of "Danny's-Force" curve from MagForce curve. And the differencies are, without doubts... Because in this case Danny is a "servo-mechanism" (sorry, Danny smile.gif) and MagForce construction is without any servo-mechanism, hasn't servo-mechanism at all.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to learn.

The speed at which you back the mag off is dependent on the quality of the cast and is much about "feel" and timing as anything else.

No formula can be given to provide an ideal of how fast to back the mags off, that only comes with experience.

JUst in general, the mag is set to give the caster the ability to hit the rod as hard as he can and to get the cast under way with maximum spool speed without creating a backlash or breakoff (initial mag setting too low for caster ability)

Once the sinker is on it's way and has reached the apex of it's flight, the spool has started to experience some natural "braking" due to the line level decrease.

It is at this point that it is safe to start to back the mag away, this is an attempt to keep the spool from slowing down via the natural braking process.

Ideally the spool should run just fast enough to throw line toward the sinker, ideally this will result in a few loose coils of line revolving with the spool and indicates the right speed. NO loose coils indicates the reel may be too slow, too many loose coils indicates the spool may be too fast, again this really requires the caster too know his technique -- AND his equipment.

"I was a waste of time dumbasses." --  sevenxseventy01

Thanks SC,

I think I understand what you've said (and even haven't said this time) and agree fully.

Well... I'm "UL Surfcaster", my lures are 1/2 to 2oz, 1oz the most often used. And the lines are more thick than usual for majority: I know the trick - the best quantity of line on spool is that quantity which are enough for my casting and no more.

I prefer similar to MagForce braking system on my reels. "Similar" here means close construction, but not the same; I make it myself.

I know that with adjustable-on-the-fly (linear magnet) system the master can make more distance. But here two "but"s for me. First, at the real fishing with such equipment/lures sometimes it's needed (and is obtained) 100 meters, and not more. At such short/quick casting, plus, usually, in uncomfortable conditions, sometimes in darkness, it's difficult to use adjustable-on-the-fly system. Second... I'm old man and now any available pieces of comfort for me are preferable over any "records".

So the bottom of my Q is the desire to get from masters in adjusting-on-the-fly some/any tips for realise something in my system, to modify something in its construction for its better characteristic. Just in construction, not in working control, - because it's automatic system anyway (not suited for adjusting-on-the-fly really).

You see I have some experience both in the use and modifying of braking system but I'm cooked in the own juice and it's bad: probably something I miss, something can't descry, something can't understand.