Rmarsh

17' center console build

Rate this topic

297 posts in this topic

Started building a 17' center console skiff. Plans called for a cuddy cabin but I am going to change to an open layout. My plan is to get her built this year but may have to wait till next year to launch. My budget this year won't allow for me to aquire a 40 to 50 HP motor and suitable trailer.

I will be very interested in following your progress! Always wanted to build my own, but never did. Seems I am prone to starting projects, losing steam mid-way through and never completing them.

I ,too, have always wanted to build a boat but always talked myself out of it. I still might try it, one of these days, but it'll be small whatever it is. Perhaps a fly fishing pram or a lightweight rowboat. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing your project progress. Good luck!

Valentine

View Postdefinitly cool! keep us updated with new photos and what not with your progress. im sure alot of us including myself would like to see how it comes out! good luck!

-Ryan

highfive.gif

What type of skiff is it, simmons or whatever? This is a great thread, shows the time and work that just goes into setting the frames before you get any real work done on the boat itself. I was looking at plans and modifying, if I ever get the time, bucks and space I wanted to build one a little larger with an inboard motor well.

Its a Jaques Mertens design from Bateau Boats. It does have ample freeboard. I cant take too much credit for the crafstmanship. Its from a kit with all the pieces precut by cnc machine, I just have to assemble it. I love the look of the Simmons Skiffs. Heres a shot of the transom.

One day, I swear. Problem is finding the right space and money to get the wood. I've drooled over many of the glennL designs.

I like the fact you can use a much smaller engine on many woodies.

Check this one out, a Glenn L center console , its a work of art.