Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris P

Pics

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have an interest in deepwater venues, I think mostly due to the fact that they tend to draw in habitat specific species. Which in my home stoping grounds also tended to be the larger of species available to shore anglers. As well as the fact on the shallower venues, distance casting plays a major part in your success. While I can cast a good distance, I always leaned towards deepwater venues as they also offered fish from your feet to distance, much easier than contiually banging out pendulam casts, over and over.

Most venues are of the rock/cliff type, as the dropoffs are obviousley more pronounced, though I also have a few shingle beaches that have moderate dropoffs.

cliff9.jpg

cliff10.jpg

cliff11.jpg

I understand that deepwater is not a factor while targeting some species, or the best approach to some that will sometimes frequent deepwater.

Since I have moved to the US I have found this out firsthand, especially for our friend the striper. While they obviousley do inhabit deepwater, they are more easily targeted from the surf, surface, inlets.

Does anybody regularly fish deepwater venues from the shore, if so, where, what species do you usually target and what species are available?

I have a particular interest in Cod from shore. Most of my youth I spent winters fishing cliffs and beaches for Cod, though sadly they are in a rather steep decline in European waters. I have great memories of pulling double figure cod on those cold winter nights. I read with interest some of the posts in other forums, with regards to fishing for cod at the Ditch recently. Also the reports of days gone by when the cod fishery was alot better frown.gif .

My other favourite species form deepwater venues that does not seem to get any serious fishing pressure here in the US, is the Conger Eel. I love Congers, nothing like standing in the dark on slippery rocks, wrestling with 40+ pounds of muscle, pound for pound they are up there.

What do I consider deepwater from shore venues, 40-100ft.

So are there any deepwater marks worth trying in in Mass, RI, CT, Maine, NJ?

[ 01-07-2004, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Chris P ]

Cool Pics...Unfortunatley I have never heard of anybody catching cod or c. eels from the surf, though that certainly dosen't mean its not possible...As far as I know there are none...In fact as for the beaches from Leonardo to Long Beach Island (NJ) I personally know there are no deepwater ledges....Sorry I couldn't be of more help...I'm sure you'll be addicted to Striper fishing soon if you happen to have an intrest in it...Tight Lines

Hey charloots, I would always gaff the large cod as they would usually reside in my freezer after being caught. I used a couple of designs over the years. I had a mate of mine weld some aluminium poles together and a decent sized gaff hook, 7ft long and light, was good for the venues you could get to within water level safley.

Otherwise I had a flying gaff, 40ft of rope with a large gaff hook and lead just above the hook.

Most of my Conger holes had lower rock platforms, so I would always try to land the larger ones by hand cwm31.gif . As anyone who has dealt with large congers, there is only one place to get a good grip, without losing fingers. If I had to gaff large for release I placed the point, so as to limit damage to the fish.

[ 01-07-2004, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Chris P ]

Hey CD,

Those particular pics are in North Wales, which is renowned for its rugged coastline and spectacular scenery.

Most of my cod fishing was in South Wales, there are Cod in the North, but they tend to be smaller and less numerous.

Tight Lines

Chris

Char, funny you should mention that, I was reeling one in once.........I swear that striper was huge, must have been at least a 200#er eek.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif .

Here is a pic of one of the chicken conger, great for steaks, the big ones are kind of strong tasting upck.gif , always released the big boys to fight another day.

CONGER.jpg

DOG.jpg