Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishinFEEver

Are the Shrewsbury Rocks Kayakable?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I've always wondered about whether or not one could take a Kayak out to the Shrewsbury Rocks. I could be absurdly wrong in thinking this is possible, but I'm just curious. HappyWave.gif

Thanks Guys,

Jim

You certainly could - they start very near the beach. Your only problem would be the chowderhead boat traffic icon25.gif Some real knuckleheads out there when the fish are around.

TimS

I've always wondered about whether or not one could take a Kayak out to the Shrewsbury Rocks. I could be absurdly wrong in thinking this is possible, but I'm just curious. HappyWave.gif

Thanks Guys,

Jim

no doubt Jim. There's fishable structure right off the beach in MB and you could probably get out to the dropoffs and fringes of the rocks proper if you have a calm day with light winds. My suggestion would be to pick a day where tides are favorable in the morning, explore and fish early, and get inshore before the wind starts kicking in. I wouldn't suggest you going out there around a new or full moon b/c the current tends to rip a bit --- but its definitely doable.

As Tim said, getting away from that boat traffic would be your biggest challenge. If ya get out there early enough to beat the traffic you should be in good shape!

hope this helps... btw the bunkies run thick out there come May wink.gif

fish,

i gotta disagree... i would not take a kayak to the Rocks. the traffic is considerable and the crew out there will not be overly hospitable to a kayak. some places should be left to the skips trying to make a buck. the tight inshore fishing off Shrewsbury there is good and would be good w/ a yak, but i got to say to paddle out to the Rocks w/ all the trolling and big boats around does not sound smart. i love the yak in certain spots, but i don't know if this is that spot. i may be wrong....again.

tight lines,

toot

Thanks Guys,

Jim

No doubt. Most of the time at night there are only a few boats there. Like "Water Torture", "Insomniac", "Ricky" and some of the Monmouth county toppers.

There are a few good spots right off the beach to. I like it best up there with a west north west wind.

Eeeeels.............

It looks enticing but I would be VERY careful...saw a kayaker almost get it last summer from a knucklehead boater. I would get a long pole to attach to the kayak and fly a big flourescent orange flag from it. icon14.gif

I would not go at night due to the dangers from other boaters.

I would use a flag there so people can see you better in the day. Stick to the calm west wind days.

Some of the "skips trying to make a buck" have the worst ettique out there.

Fish , kayak off west end , Red Church has an interesting area we troll spoons on.Had this friend who was pretty fearless, kayaked that area , caught plenty of fish but when that one fin showed up it was a differ ballgame.Followed him 300 yrds to the beach,I know he never ventured that far off again.One swift knock and you are shark bait.

Thanks for the info guys. Now I just need to get my kayak. Valentines Day put a dent in the Kayak fund, and then she laughed at the present and asked if I was serious. eek.gif

I know I'm promoting me, but I've got a Fish n Dive Kayak for sale in the BST.... Mike's FnD

Some of the "skips trying to make a buck" have the worst ettique out there.

That's an awfully broad generalization, but hey its your opinion!

IMO if a guy is pulling rigs or spoons, try to not paddle into their course as it can create a huge mess gear-wise and your as well as his can get all goofed up if you get entangled. Also, if there are bigger boats around, its not a good idea to park yourself right off their bow b/c they can miss you in their blindspot and you can get into some hairy situations - esp. in a spot like this one.