Checking and fixing rod guides

Rate this topic

fishermanguy

Use a Q-tip. Run the q-tip around the inside of the guide.

If there's any breakage, the cotton will get caught in the crack and it will be obvious.

If it's the top tip, there are repair kits you can use right on the beach to fix it. I'm not sure about the rest of the guides though...

Chris

I'm on a bridge to a better day...

The two ways I know of checking guides are 1) Q-tip, run a Q-tip around and through the guide if it pulls little fibers off there is a crack or rough spot. 2) Panty hose or Stocking, same thing.

For the second part of your question, because most guides are made of ultra hard material (at least the insert) there isn't any way smooth out or repair. Best to just replace with a new guide.

I beleive that Redhawk19 (Lou) did a video of a out in the field quick fix on guides. I could go through the whole thing but his video is great and explains all of it!! Not sure if I can tell you where to find it or post a link as per the rules though. It was done for a certain online fishing magazine.. hint hint...!!

Thanks all. My questions have been answered. The video that was recommended was perfect. I now have to add a few other items to my truck's emergency supplies - q tips, replacement tip tops, assorted guides and a lighter. I already had electrical tape and razor blades in addition to all of the other stand by stuff - bolt cutters, dry clothes, water, food.....

"...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy." - William Fox

View PostUse a Q-tip. Run the q-tip around the inside of the guide.

If there's any breakage, the cotton will get caught in the crack and it will be obvious.

If it's the top tip, there are repair kits you can use right on the beach to fix it. I'm not sure about the rest of the guides though...

Chris

What Chris said. I was just doing that last night. wink.gif

Lami