how much great stuff? (blue can)

Rate this topic

dogboy

Almost like:

How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a tootsie popsmile.gif

Personally I'd stuff fiberglass in.Using some makeshift tool to push it up and down to fill the cavity.Then replace the access boards.

Great Stuff is evil!

View PostI'd say may one large can for each side. I'd drill two holes, bottom, middle and use the pulley hole. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Then plug the holes up when your done, Unless your putting in a replacement, and then don't worry about plugging itsmile.gif

thanks

i bought new true divided light sash, but Brosco doesn't make the full width ones anymore, so i had to get the extruded plastic track with a slab of foam on the backside- so i might as well foam the weight pockets while i've got it all apart

Are you talking about the old style wooden double hung windows with the hidden window weights with the ropes and pullies??? If so thats all my house has. Huge source of drafts.

Dunno if it's a good idea to use Great Stuff to fill the voids where the window weights were. Great Stuff has a lot of expanding mussle to it. It could very well bow out the sides of the window frame as it expands and dries. That might cause your windows to bind.

I'd stuff in fiberglass. There's also a grade of foam like Great Stuff that doesn't have nearly the expanding strength... dunno what its called. However, I don't think it's designed to fill large spaces like the window weight hole.

The first casualty of War, Politics, and now Covid is the truth.

View PostAre you talking about the old style wooden double hung windows with the hidden window weights with the ropes and pullies??? If so thats all my house has. Huge source of drafts.

Dunno if it's a good idea to use Great Stuff to fill the voids where the window weights were. Great Stuff has a lot of expanding mussle to it. It could very well bow out the sides of the window frame as it expands and dries. That might cause your windows to bind.

I'd stuff in fiberglass. There's also a grade of foam like Great Stuff that doesn't have nearly the expanding strength... dunno what its called. However, I don't think it's designed to fill large spaces like the window weight hole.

exactly- pretty big voids to fill

the stuff in the blue can is made for spaces where distortion might cause problems

most of the old double hung windows were replaced long before i took up residence in this house, but the window i am working on now is in a little plant nook, and the adjacent wall is all glass, so i wanted to stay with the same look

for your situation, i watched a norm abrams retrofit of old windows said to eliminate 90% of the draft- he took off the vertical trim boards and cut 1" foil faced rigid insulation- not sure if he sandwiched the weights in on both sides with it or just one- depends on how much space, but there is usually tons of room for the weights anyway

not sure exactly what he used to weatherstrip the sash- maybe 3M v-seal

they sell little covers that go over the pulleys, but he eschewed those in favor of a coil of foam "rope" with a thin wire down the middle- with the sash closed and locked, he pulled the pulley ropes out a bit, sistered the foam rope next to the cord with one end of it through the sheave, and gently lowered the weight, which pulled the foam rope into the gap- this is a step you do when you close your windows for the winter

all in all, it looked to be an effective remedy if you want to preserve the old windows

they also had either triple track storm windows or the on the outside

FWIW, even replacement windows can be drafty, especially if the 8 ball that installed them didn't insulate the weight pockets- i have had to cover a few with that 3M or frost king stuff that comes in a kit with the double sided tape- works pretty good

View PostAre you talking about the old style wooden double hung windows with the hidden window weights with the ropes and pullies??? If so thats all my house has. Huge source of drafts.

Thats exactly why I recommended Drilling the 2 holes. It allows the pressure to escape while you fill itsmile.gif

How about running the window wheights in a section of pvc and then insulating around them. I also read in an article they removed the weights and installed a retractable tape like a tape measure that acted the same. Also my best use of Great stuff my kids like to hang on the towle bars and they ripped the drywall anchor out and a piece of the drywall I took all the loose drywall out stuck the hose from the great stuff in there filled the hole void the next day i shaved the expanded foam off and spackled over it I then was able to install the towel bar with a new drywall anchor exactly where they riped it out.

View PostHow about running the window wheights in a section of pvc and then insulating around them.

Now dang, running the window weights thru PVC sounds like a great idea. Will definitely give it a try. Thanks.

The first casualty of War, Politics, and now Covid is the truth.