Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluefish

Break-in period: PENN 525 MAG

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

It seems that my 525 is getting better. smile.gif I know this is a super fast reel right out of the box, but the "free spool" on my reel "lasts" longer and longer the more I use it on the beach. You guys know how you just sit there fiddling with a reel when you're home and NOT fishing. Clickin' back the eccentric lever and "free spooling" by hand and then clickin' back over and reeling in. Well, when I first got the reel ,it would free spool "by hand" for about 5-10 seconds on the fast setting. This increased to 20-25 seconds after some beach use and then after more use to a consistent free spooling for over 30 seconds. I then put the rare earth magnets in from Radio Shack (4 of 'em) and the whole process started over again. First 10, then 15 and now consistently over 20 seconds. I know I have too much time on my hands wink.gif but it seems this reel is still "breaking in" after 2 years and change. Are you guys experiencing this same thing with this reel? I'm getting a little better distance with the reel but I attributed that to constant practice. Perhaps you can't get the maximum distance from a conventional reel like the 525 until it's completely broken in. Heres hoping..... redface.gif

This is my first summer with my 525. And I too added Radio Shack magnets. Calmed it right down. Before that it was one unholy backlash after another. What I do now when I go to the beach, I set the Mag adjust on max( the high number) and slowly work to zero. The spool tension knob is adjusted to where I feel the tiniest bit of side play. It's spooled with 50# Power Pro. Depending on wind direction, wind in the face really shortens casts, I can get some decent casts. !50 yards or better at times. Night time with wind can be a nightmare. The line will get caught up in the star drag , and if you don't notice before you crank eek.gif

most conventional reels have too much oil (imho) in the bearings from the factory for ultimate performance.. some even have grease.. I think what you are experiencing is the dissipation over time of the oil..

if you flushed the bearings in a new reel and oil them with something very light you'd probably not see the same "break-in" phenomena....

Penn uses too much grease in every reel they make. It prevents corrosion but really slows them down. Some of the grease in you reel is wearing away, making it faster.

Like Thumb said, clean it out and a a drop of rocket fuel and it will be super fast

most conventional reels have too much oil (imho) in the bearings from the factory for ultimate performance.. some even have grease.. I think what you are experiencing is the dissipation over time of the oil..

if you flushed the bearings in a new reel and oil them with something very light you'd probably not see the same "break-in" phenomena....