canal lobster pot question

Rate this topic

dogboy

View Postahhhh......5-6 knots of current.....your gear is not anchored......but it just stays there in one spot.............neat..........

Can you explain how there's 5-6 knots of current in the back eddy places he described? Most back eddies I've ever seen were much, much slower than the absolute peak tide in the dead middle of the canal.

Lets try not to be so quick to insult people with obviously snarky responses....we're all here because we fish, we're on the same team.

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

View PostCan you explain how there's 5-6 knots of current in the back eddy places he described? Most back eddies I've ever seen were much, much slower than the absolute peak tide in the dead middle of the canal.

Lets try not to be so quick to insult people with obviously snarky responses....we're all here because we fish, we're on the same team.

TimS

tim come on canal lobstering 101 ,,, you get the b,,, busted nomatter what you say or in some cases what you dont,

View PostCan you explain how there's 5-6 knots of current in the back eddy places he described? Most back eddies I've ever seen were much, much slower than the absolute peak tide in the dead middle of the canal.

TimS

Jeez tim......when was the last time you checked your traps in the canal.......I have done ditch lobstering for thirty five of my forty six years.....I won't rant but I can......

snarky

View PostBob I put some of my traps in without a line attached so people cant just pull them in, didn't think this was that hard to understand. Maybe Im just not being clear enough.

Let me know how your doin after the first deep-draft ship goes by and sucks them out in the middle ...

" When it comes to fishing, I`d rather be LUCKY than GOOD"

View PostLet me know how your doin after the first deep-draft ship goes by and sucks them out in the middle ...

Yea...I'm just not getting this whole no rope thing myself?headscratch.gif My traps have to weigh 18-20lbs each. On moon tides all my cables are tight. On rare occasions after storms on a moon and such, the 50 pound rocks I've tied them too have actually been moved slightly due to the strain of the trap being pulled by the tide, and the accumilation of floating weed on both the trap and rope.

But, I'm using two sections of a bull rake handle, and wading to the top of my waders to set my traps, so they're actually in the canal. I guess there's always the possibility this guy is just wading out, and dropping them knee deep and they're just sitting in 3' of water?

The Sultan of Sluggo

View Posttim come on canal lobstering 101 ,,, you get the b,,, busted nomatter what you say or in some cases what you dont,

Watch yourself, or people will be refering to you as "SNARK LOBSTER"...

" When it comes to fishing, I`d rather be LUCKY than GOOD"

View Post......l. I guess there's always the possibility this guy is just wading out, and dropping them knee deep and they're just sitting in 3' of water?

Bob G, if you reread his post he says the place he puts his traps in is a place that... "has a very steep drop off and has back eddys on both sides not too far away.....and the pots are deep enough even on minus tides"

I'm thinking....... those back eddys are probably cushioning the effect of the current.

I have no idea where kcpedaly drops his traps, but I do know of a spot that fits his description to a tee. The spot is bordered by two, at times, strong back eddys, the water is deep, and is not even slightly exposed at two star minus tides. The steep configuration of the land mass up from the service road would lead you to conclude the presence of the steep drop off.

Although it's a very long walk to that spot I know of at least one guy that has traps in that spot. Could it be kcpedaly? I don't know.

View PostLet me know how your doin after the first deep-draft ship goes by and sucks them out in the middle ...

View PostYea...I'm just not getting this whole no rope thing myself?headscratch.gif My traps have to weigh 18-20lbs each. On moon tides all my cables are tight. On rare occasions after storms on a moon and such, the 50 pound rocks I've tied them too have actually been moved slightly due to the strain of the trap being pulled by the tide, and the accumilation of floating weed on both the trap and rope.

But, I'm using two sections of a bull rake handle, and wading to the top of my waders to set my traps, so they're actually in the canal. I guess there's always the possibility this guy is just wading out, and dropping them knee deep and they're just sitting in 3' of water?

A buddy of mine a DMF employee who dives/dive tends the DMF diving crew that checks the pots in the canal has told me he knows of no such place along the canal where it is a no current spot for the full 12 hours tide cyclel.......You have 6 hours of a flood tide, 6 hours of an ebb tide....as the canal water level changes in realation to the rip rap, local currents are constantly changing in speed and direction......that quiet backwash an hour before low has screaming local currents and hour before the top of the flood tide.....and deep draft ships most certainly move gear......I have had cruise ships flip my traps in there passing......and if you think I use the little red top/yot pot that can be moved around easily..........

Having dove the canal for over 30 years I can safely say... If you put a trap ''between'' two structures it would indeed protect it from both flood and ebb tides. Divers use the large rocks as shields against the current. You are quite right about the large ships, they pull alot of water, I've had to hold on tight to a rock a few timescwm31.gif

Lobster troll #7 Spearfishing is underwater grocery shopping

View PostHaving dove the canal for over 30 years I can safely say... If you put a trap ''between'' two structures it would indeed protect it from both flood and ebb tides. ...

Agree with your experience regarding the two structures, PH. I think kcpdaly found such a place....in fact it may be the place I described above.

View PostA buddy of mine a DMF employee who dives/dive tends the DMF diving crew that checks the pots in the canal has told me he knows of no such place along the canal where it is a no current spot for the full 12 hours tide cyclel.......You have 6 hours of a flood tide, 6 hours of an ebb tide....as the canal water level changes in realation to the rip rap, local currents are constantly changing in speed and direction......that quiet backwash an hour before low has screaming local currents and hour before the top of the flood tide.....and deep draft ships most certainly move gear......I have had cruise ships flip my traps in there passing......and if you think I use the little red top/yot pot that can be moved around easily..........

they do this ck gear in canal? diving