canal lobster pot question

Rate this topic

dogboy

View PostRob, rookie canal wannabe, newbie whatever name makes you feel better calling me, Fine! I will do the right thing, not because I was told too, because it's what I've always done.I wasn't asking for a site to fish I was just trying to ask some questions to get a little more info. because I was told this was the site to find it. If what I'm being told is go out and find it on my own "no problem, I will" that was my original plan anyways.

mark there are alot of spots that you can put in your gear it just takes a little home work to find them ,, the idea here is truly not to affend you but to show you the harsh reality of ditch lobstering , better you get a hard time here , then when you do set your gear ,, im guilty of all the same things you have stated ,, like capie said in another post if you find your spot now and there is no one there , but they were last year it,s tuff crap for them ,, just leave some room ,, and you will be fine !! good luck!!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of this whole thing being enjoyable. The more I read, and the more you guys post, the more this seems like nothing but a headache and a constant source of stress (could this be a diversionary tactic? headscratch.gif )! I don't care about tradition, I don't care about being outside, I don't care about wanting to try something new. Hell, even the guys doing it for years complain about what they have to "deal with year in and year out." All for a bottom dwelling, **** eating ocean bug that can be bought for less than hamburger! cwm27.gif

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if I were to lobster in the Canal and someone ****ed with my gear, there wouldn't be a trap attached to the bank for a mile in either direction! I give what I get, I don't care about who or what people think they are entitled to, if someone reaches out, asks the right questions, does their homework, goes out of their way to meet "the regulars," then loses gear to some asshat that doesn't like where they set, the gloves come off!

And as far as most (a couple guys have offered advice and tried to help) of the previous posts, in my eyes, they were typed for 1 reason, to discourage anyone thinking of lobstering in the Canal! The theme in everyone of these threads is the same, IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD POTS IN THE CANAL FOR 35 YEARS, STAY HOME!

The unity between sportsmen overwhelms me sometimes! cwm27.gif

And Mark, I commend you for going out of your way to make sure you don't intentionally step on toes. clapping.gif

View PostNot in the eyes of someone fishing commercially, I understand that. biggrin.gif

Any idea or guesses on percentages of guys fishing comm. vs rec. in the Canal?

I lobster for the table and I still don't consider canal lobstering a sportsmen activity.

View PostIt's amazing that no one gets hurt down there...cwm31.gif

Some do ...

View PostI lobster for the table and I still don't consider canal lobstering a sportsmen activity.

Lobstering is lobstering, the same rules as offshore/in the bay apply in the Canal and they are very sternly enforced. Room out in the open water has been taken decades ago, so you can imagine how packed the Canal is. As Rob has mentioned, the families that have fished from the Sag. bridge East to the Sandwich Basin for over three decades (and longer), have/are doing it to put food on the table, It`s not a "sport" to us, it`s part of the Canal region (Bourne & Sandwich) way of life...

" When it comes to fishing, I`d rather be LUCKY than GOOD"

View PostSome do ...

Lobstering is lobstering, the same rules as offshore/in the bay apply in the Canal and they are very sternly enforced. Room out in the open water has been taken decades ago, so you can imagine how packed the Canal is. As Rob has mentioned, the families that have fished from the Sag. bridge East to the Sandwich Basin for over three decades (and longer), have/are doing it to put food on the table, It`s not a "sport" to us, it`s part of the Canal region (Bourne & Sandwich) way of life...

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

View PostSome do ...

OK. So let me present a hypothetical situation....

For some reason, the OCE declares the stretch you speak of off limits to lobstering. Does that give you the right to go to a spot that is being fished by a "newbie" and take it over, because it's your way of life?

I understand it's tradition for some, but the fact remains, if someone is too lazy to keep their traps in all year, or they go to Fla. for the winter, or they don't like the cold, whatever reason, they surrender that spot in the eyes of the "real law," despite your "unwritten code." Any action against them or their gear would be illegal. Right?

View PostI'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of this whole thing being enjoyable. The more I read, and the more you guys post, the more this seems like nothing but a headache and a constant source of stress (could this be a diversionary tactic? headscratch.gif )! I don't care about tradition, I don't care about being outside, I don't care about wanting to try something new. Hell, even the guys doing it for years complain about what they have to "deal with year in and year out." All for a bottom dwelling, **** eating ocean bug that can be bought for less than hamburger! cwm27.gif

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if I were to lobster in the Canal and someone ****ed with my gear, there wouldn't be a trap attached to the bank for a mile in either direction! I give what I get, I don't care about who or what people think they are entitled to, if someone reaches out, asks the right questions, does their homework, goes out of their way to meet "the regulars," then loses gear to some asshat that doesn't like where they set, the gloves come off!

And as far as most (a couple guys have offered advice and tried to help) of the previous posts, in my eyes, they were typed for 1 reason, to discourage anyone thinking of lobstering in the Canal! The theme in everyone of these threads is the same, IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD POTS IN THE CANAL FOR 35 YEARS, STAY HOME!

The unity between sportsmen overwhelms me sometimes! cwm27.gif

And Mark, I commend you for going out of your way to make sure you don't intentionally step on toes. clapping.gif

OK, let me get this straight.cwm15.gif

You're going to cut or smash all my traps (or rob's or Capie's) b/c some guy with big feet and his bros in law from Scranton NJ decided to have lobster for dinner while camping at Scusset Beach? Or, two tautog fishermen from New Bedford saw you cables at low tide, nobody was around, pulled all your gear, and screwed back the New B? HappyWave.gif Joe the Jigger lost his 20th jig of the night and finally decided it's LOBSTER TRAPS he's getting hung up un, and smashed all you as retribution?

You see the point? Why me? What did I do? The point being, often it's not another lobsterman.shakehead.gif Most guys who succesfully run traps in the canal have all that they can do to check their gear on the tide, and then go home. Speaking for myself, after I'm finished, the last thing I need to do if look for more gear just to mess with someonekooky.gif . Not to mention, often I have my legal limit, and legally can't take anymore lobster anyway.cwm27.gif

Like rob22 already said, canal lobstering is not a sportsmen type activity. Most of us do it b/c we really enjoy eating lobsters, and catching them for free makes it even better.

Look at it like cutting firewood. You own a large tract of land, and you manage your land to harvest wood as fuel to heat your home. It's not nessesarily fun, but you enjoy doing it for the excercise and savings $$$. However, if someone came onto your land at night at cut down your trees, you'd be pi$$ed.mad.gifcwm27.gif Right?wink.gif

The Sultan of Sluggo

View Post

Look at it like cutting firewood. You own a large tract of land, and you manage your land to harvet wood as fuel to heat your home. It's not nessesarily fun, but you enjoy doing it for the excercise and savings $$$. However, if someone came onto your land at night at cut down your trees, you'd be pi$$ed.mad.gifcwm27.gif Right?wink.gif

The only problem with this analogy is the canal is public land. If you owned it, we'd all be begging you for fishing permission. biggrin.gif

I'll have mine on the rocks.

OK. So let me present a hypothetical situation....

For some reason, the OCE declares the stretch you speak of off limits to lobstering. Does that give you the right to go to a spot that is being fished by a "newbie" and take it over, because it's your way of life?

I understand it's tradition for some, but the fact remains, if someone is too lazy to keep their traps in all year, or they go to Fla. for the winter, or they don't like the cold, whatever reason, they surrender that spot in the eyes of the "real law," despite your "unwritten code." Any action against them or their gear would be illegal. Right?

If the powers that be kick me out of my spot I am not going to try and muscle in on anyone else....thats the point we have been trying to make all along.....and your statement "I understand it's tradition for some" I really don't think you understand at all........

View PostOK. So let me present a hypothetical situation....

You are absolutely correct and has been stated here several times cwm15.gif Another thing that has been previously stated is, " I didn`t establish the rules, however I have to follow them like the others" cwm15.gifcwm15.gif

" When it comes to fishing, I`d rather be LUCKY than GOOD"