canal lobster pot question

Rate this topic

dogboy

my boat hasn't seen the water since my daughter started college, but i renewed by recreational lobster license primarily so i can put out some crab pots in the falmouth area, where my neighbors bought a place on the water

it occurs to me that i could stick a couple of pots in the canal somewhere and check them on my way down and back- plus the cottage is not that far from the canal anyway

any hints on what i can do to minimize people messing with them?

how far should i be from any other gear so people don't think i'm invading their honey holes?

is one side any better than the other?

I'm sure robc will add to this as well.

OK, be advised that all the better spots have long since been claimed.

Your pots get "messed with" for two reasons.

1. You set you traps in a popular fishing spot, and didn't hide your cables sufficiently and everyone is pulling them. You really DO need to hide your cables/rope.

2. You accidently set right on top of someone who's been fishing there for decades. He found your gear all tangles with his, and he pulled your traps and placed them on the rocks or service road as a message.

Well before setting your gear, you'll need to put on your waders a month in advance, on a minus tide, and check out the area you intend to fish. Get in the water, with a gaff or rake and look for cables and traps. If you see cables, you don't set there.cwm15.gif

Just a footnote. Sometimes it takes a few years before you can get on a good lobster spot in the canal. You have to bide your time, put up with mediocre or even poor catches until a spot finally opens up. Even at that, there are no assurances that trouble won't find you. I got completely wiped out three years ago when I tried a new spot, and was finished before the Fourth of July.

The Sultan of Sluggo

View PostIn a previous post,here comes all the new lobster licenses and

new traps in the canal !!

And as I mentioned in a previous post, canal lobster newbies have an attrition rate of about 75-80%.cwm15.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

Catching your own lobster sounds romantic and fun. But just keep in mind before spending a weeks pay on new traps and associated gear, you can go to Joe's and buy a LOT of lobster with that $$$ and be spared the heartbreak, frustration and aggrevation.cwm27.gif

The Sultan of Sluggo

View PostA little off the subject here for a second,but I notice from many

of your posts,that you are an avid turkey hunter,I have 4 turkey

hunting videos,almost new,(in VHS though),if you still own a VCR.

You can have them free if you want them,pm me.

Thanks, but my VCR has long since departed. HappyWave.gif

But I'm also an avid turkey photographer. I have a huge collection of turkey pics I've taken over the years in my pre season scouting/calling trips.

The Sultan of Sluggo

View PostIn a previous post,here comes all the new lobster licenses and

new traps in the canal !!

Yep, and you were not the only one ... # 1 rule ... Remember Elmer Fudd?, always shooting himself in the a$$ ?

" When it comes to fishing, I`d rather be LUCKY than GOOD"

HVGFDS

View PostI'm sure robc will add to this as well.

OK, be advised that all the better spots have long since been claimed.

Your pots get "messed with" for two reasons.

1. You set you traps in a popular fishing spot, and didn't hide your cables sufficiently and everyone is pulling them. You really DO need to hide your cables/rope.

2. You accidently set right on top of someone who's been fishing there for decades. He found your gear all tangles with his, and he pulled your traps and placed them on the rocks or service road as a message.

Well before setting your gear, you'll need to put on your waders a month in advance, on a minus tide, and check out the area you intend to fish. Get in the water, with a gaff or rake and look for cables and traps. If you see cables, you don't set there.cwm15.gif

Just a footnote. Sometimes it takes a few years before you can get on a good lobster spot in the canal. You have to bide your time, put up with mediocre or even poor catches until a spot finally opens up. Even at that, there are no assurances that trouble won't find you. I got completely wiped out three years ago when I tried a new spot, and was finished before the Fourth of July.

View PostMy impression: a newbie putting traps in the canal now? Bad idea. Stick to crabs and be happy.

Ya.....it takes along time to find bottom you can call your own. There is no quick in and out with just a couple of traps.......I hear the blue crabbing on the south side has been super the last few years I would stick to potting them.......same license by the way.... but if you are determined to put gear in the canal you will have some tough times ahead of you

i've pulled enough traps to know i won't be hitting the mother lode every time

most i ever got in one trap was seven

two shorts

2 small keeper females loaded with eggs

2 large (2 1/2# +)notched females

and 2 decent keepers

thought i was right beside a hump when i put it out

turns out it was right on top of a huge rock in very shallow waterheadscratch.gif

next time i was out there at a very low tide, i decided not to trap right there anymore

View PostI was told not to talk about this topic on this Forum,But spent a good part of Fall Pulling & re baiting for no keepers. & for all the oldtimers ,I know it's too cold.Everybody has to start as a Newbie.smile.gif .

Heck.....you can come and pull my gear for me once a month this winter...........