Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prionotus Tribulus

Baloon float fishing and kite fishing

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I heard of baloon float fishing where you soposedly tie a small ballon to a long leader with bait and let the wind float it out on the surface of the water.

I think there was also some kind of kite fishing

how does that work exactly?

also what is the right way to rig up for baloon fishing? there is a nice strong wind blowing off the shore and i can get in waaay deep with this - about 400 yards maybe?

Way back when the summer was pushin Westerlies, an old veteran fisherman had the balloon rig set up. He was using two balloons. If you do a search on balloon rigs you'll see it.

He use to catch big bluefish as I recall. Nothing other than that, for I guess he could'nt get the rig deep enough, even though it went out really far. Maybe a shark, would take the blue if it stayed out long enough and started flailing in the water.

I give it a thumbs down for Ocean county New jersey fishin.

A while back, Awesome John noted a variation on the balloon float rig. He said that you could use a lifesaver candy to attach the balloon to your running line, and after a while it would disolve and drop your rig to get it down deeper. Never tried it, but if your inclined to balloon fish, it sounds like an interesting idea. Me, if I need to get out that far, I'll use a boat biggrin.gif

Wow that lifesavers idea is brilliant, I got to try that sometime. What about the kite fishing anyone know how that works?

The search thing is not there now so I got to wait for that. Who made that baloon post or posted in it so i can find it through the member directory

Place your bait,hook and sinker in a paper bag, The old lunch type works perfectly. Tie a balloon to the paper bag. When the balloon is over the target, pull your rig out of the soggy paper bag.

Works like a charm.....

These ideas are hardly new. They were originally popularized in the 50's. The reason that they were abandoned, is that the balloon often finds it's way into the food chain, with fatal results. Sea Turtles, in particular, seem to fall victim to this phenomenon. Styrofoam coffee cups are no better.

Please avoid this most unsportsmanlike technique!

Ammo, Thanks for bringing that up. I was going to express my concern about the balloons and recommend the biodegradable ones that are available and are safer to use IF you needed to employ that method.The bag states that "decomposition time is equal to a leaf".

We've come a long way since the 50's.... wink.gif

I usd balloons for a number of years to suspend the bait off the bottom of a relatively shallow bay. The only problems I have encountered was having to take into account how long the line was let out below the balloon, and the occasional "do-good" kayaker that thinks the balloon is trash, and thinks that popping it will solve thier problem. rolleyes.gifhammer-time.gifrolleyes.gif

Kites and balloons are becoming a thing of the past. Nowadays, people are using inflatables and Jet Skis to get their tuna heads far from the beach.

Check out the site below for more on shore fishing sharks. It's got some good tips, including a design to building your own land based shark fishing chair. Cool stuff.

http://bluemako.customer.netspace.ne...ackle_page.htm

If you want to get a big fresh bait way out there, cast with just your lead sinker attached the the running line with a big split ring and whatever length of leader you choose, then use one of the new Breakaway Slideaway one way attachable clips. I have some (3 for about $14.00) but have yet to try them. Do a google search for "breakaway slideaway", and click the SLIDEAWAY link in the search results. No ballons, no lifesavers, no paper bags. Just a one way cable car ride for your bait, from the beach to however far you can cast your weight.

Bob

slideaway.jpg

I did do that slide your bait down your line thing , but that is limited by your casting distance. The baloon way can get you out to where no caster has ever reached from shore.

There may also be a way to make origami paper baloons so that they are safe for the enviorment.

now anyone know about kite fishing?

Electric Kontiki to pull the kite.

Bob

motorisedkontiki.jpg

How about a Radio Controlled boat? (miniature)

It's late,....there is a lot of info, too much. Google it.

Although having never tried kite fishing my understanding is that you send the kite out, your line gets connected to a downrigger release clip which is conected to your kite line. You let the kite take the bait out over the water and when its out where you want it you give a sharp pull on your fishing line. The line pops free from the clip and the bait falls into the water. If you must try one of these methods I guess this one is the most environmentally friendly.