Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eelman

Rhode Islands new "State Fish" !

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Just read it in the fisherman.The general assembly of Rhode Island has voted into law that the Official State fish will be the striped bass!! Now we are the ocean state and the Striped bass state!

Hi Bill;

I thought that when a state selected a symbol, animal or even a motto to represent something "official" about the state, it was done so w/ the idea that the selection was a one of a kind or totally unique to that state...and that no other state could or would lay claim to another state's symbolism. In fact, I thought I read somewhere that each state's official designations for such were proprietary. Perhaps this does not apply to wildlife. I say this because the Striped Bass has been Maryland's official state fish for 35 years...

Does any other state claim the Striper as their official fish?

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

er... I can't find any reference to the striped bass being the state fish of MD. As a matter of fact, I can't see any reference to a state fish for Maryland at all. I spoke to MD DNR and they didn't have a clue! Ha! You think that information would be required reading or something.

The Cardinal (the bird, not the religious icon) is the state bird of maybe four states including your home state of VA.

RI has cool license plates, I like the wave effect they have, they also have a Hooter's in Cranston. I like RI.

Poppy! NOT one stinking place I checked listed the state fish, not one!

I'll never doublt your scope of trivial knowledge again...

In all my references the MD state bird was still listed as the Northern Oriole not the Baltimore Oriole! The world has gone mad, I tells ya!

You'll like the U571 movie, saw it last night.

Eelman,

I hope now that the people that were able to sneak the Striped Bass through as the State fish of RI have gotten their "step 1" accomplished, the next step isn't to now put in that "second bill" to apply for "game fish status" seeing as how it is now the new State fish. This somewhat sneaky and behind the scenes plan was first exposed and then predicted by many and now we shall see if it comes true...It may be a short lived life as the new State fish if that does happen...

The Striped Bass should, in reallity, not be the State fish for many reasons, and Poppy alluded to one.

I was told that 6 or 8 other States have the Striped bass as their State fish...I dont know this for a fact.

The Tautog or the Winter Flounder would be a more logical choice as they are indigenous to this area and Striped Bass just seem to pass through on their way somewhere else.

Eelman....now that the Striped Bass is the RI State fish, just like Maryland's supposedly is, should we still allow the use of live eels as a lure for Striped Bass ? Maryland no longer does as it is injurious to their State fish. Good idea or bad idea ?

Lets rethink and change this bad decision before it becomes too entrenched. Tautog, I feel would be a much better but admittedly a less glamorous choice .

Rhodester

huh?? Rhodester, I said earlier, I do not care about the politics! All I was doing was letting people know. As far as gamefish is concerned, I hope that never happens.But again, this is something I do not want to get into.I dont care what fish they use,I was just stating what was voted on.If you are against it, you can email members of the genaral assembly and let them know your feelings.Those are the trees people should bark at .

[This message has been edited by eelman (edited 04-28-2000).]

I heard NJ was considering making the bunker/menhaden the state fish in respect for the revenue it generates for various local constituents, but then couldn't find a bunker to make a replica of for the symbol.

[This message has been edited by John D (edited 04-28-2000).]