Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pdstriper

shock leader

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Charleston is right about the basic principal. On my surf setup I use 30# Stren Hi-Impact for the shock and have never had problems. I have thrown up to 14 ounces, although not too far, and never had a break.

14 oz require 140 lb shock leader (SMILE). Apparently, you just lob the sinker, but if you truly cast hard, you do need a heavy shock leader. I use 60lb for my shock leader. I stop at 60 because I only use sinkers up to 6 oz. If I use 8 oz, I don't worry about using 60 instead of 80 lb shock leader because I probably will lob than actually perform a hard cast.

It is almost impossible, if not impossible to perform a hard cast for 14 oz sinker, and I guarantee you that 30 lb line will break because I have been there!

green cart hit pretty much on target what i would say...

i basically use 30# mono for 2-4 oz... 40# for 4-6 oz and 50# for above that.. the mono i use breaks well above the rated strengths listed above... how much shocker you need for casting depends both on the weight and on how you cast.. there are people who are excellent casters than can generate more power/velocity/strain on the line with a 3 oz sinker than many do with 6 oz...

the 10# per oz is a rule for power casting and as a rule, is not needed for a normal overhanded thump cast. though you can never be too safe..

The distance casters that use the pendulium cast that establisged the rule of 10lb test per OZ. Now most people I know will use 50-60lb test for shock and have no problems up to 10oz + bait. So I recomend to grab a roll of 50 lb test line and learn a good shock knot and fish hard. Now for lures I don't use any shock leader per say, I do use 17lb Vanish for leader that starts out with a couple of wraps around the spool. Now this gets cut off as I change lures and eventually gets replaced at about a foot. I hope this helps.

Actually, I use 50 lb shock leader but I said 60 because I figure that the line lb is undestated anyway.

I agree with you that the formula is more for power cast rather than for normal fishing. I also agree that different casters have different strengths. I use unitech cast which does comes under power casting category. However, as I have not yet developed into a power caster, I have no qualms either about using 8 oz sinker. As the old saying goes, if you have to use 10 oz or more, it is time to go home (SMILE)! Maybe it is not true for the famous Hatteras point, I fish on the humble Chesapeake Bay so ...

Well on the point 8 is the norm. Ill throw 12 like we did last winter for stripers.....30#+ will make ya do silly things.

To attach my shocker, I tie a bimini then a back to back uni knot.

Well on the point 8 is the norm. Ill throw 12 like we did last winter for stripers.....30#+ will make ya do silly things.

To attach my shocker, I tie a bimini then a back to back uni knot.

yeah what john said.

but if you are new to shockers try the surgeons knot(check the internet for diagrams). its easy to tie. the only problem is its bad if there is a lot of grass in the water.... seems to catch a lot of it.