Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarterMan

Van Staal VS275 versus VS300

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

I currently own the 100, 150, 200 and 300.

The 300 is a real heavy reel but I love its large spool which, although it's not a "long cast reel" by any means, allows me to cast pretty far yet be able to swim or dunk the reel.

I'm considering selling my VS300 and getting the VS275.

I see that the spools are both 3.000" in diameter, yet the 300 holds 450yds of 80lb while the 275 holds 350 (trust me, I'm not planning on using 80lb test, this is just for comparison purposes and these figures are straight from the VS website).

What I DO like is the 275 is 4oz. lighter than the 300 = I'll gladly take that amount of weight off my shoulders any day, that can add up to a lot less fatigue after an all-nighter.

Anyone ever own both, and wind up liking one more than the other for any reason in particular? Looking for opinions from users.

Thanks

John

View PostYou left he 250 out of the equation.

VS250's spool diameter only 2.750" - I'm trying to compare the VS models with same sized spools and the 275 and 300 fit that set of criteria.

Dman the difference is the 275 uses the 200/250 body and internals where as the 300 uses a different body and gears.

The 275 is a fast Retrieve reel the 300 is a slow retrieve reel so it depends what u want to do. For me and the fishing I do I wouldn't mine being able to burn a plug or jig back so as to not get hung up in the structure down current. So for me I would get the 275 over the 300 for the retrieve speed. But to each their own and how and where they fish.

View PostDman the difference is the 275 uses the 200/250 body and internals where as the 300 uses a different body and gears.

The 275 is a fast Retrieve reel the 300 is a slow retrieve reel so it depends what u want to do. For me and the fishing I do I wouldn't mine being able to burn a plug or jig back so as to not get hung up in the structure down current. So for me I would get the 275 over the 300 for the retrieve speed. But to each their own and how and where they fish.

Thanks Brandon. Yeah, I noticed the faster retrieve on the 275 but that's not an issue (or a selling point) for me and what I normally do.

Does this mean that a VS300 spool will fit on a VS250 or is the rotor cup also different confused.gif ?

Not sure I would PM Mark (mml4) or maybe someone on Bills site for that info if nobody here can chime in.

That 275 is a sweet reel, so is the 300, I guess there both really niche reels one super slow one kinda fast, both huge spools. I really wish VS would make a sealed reel with a long spool design rather then old school short wide spools. But I doubt that will ever happen frown.gif.

For all intents and purposes the 275 and 300 spool are the same diameter(the 300 being slightly larger) but the 275 spool is not as deep.This is because it uses the "200" series travers guide which has a different profile than the one used in the 300. The result is the 275 wouldn't wind line properly on a spool as deep as the 300.

I own both the 275 and the 300. I use the 275 on a Super Surf 132-1MH and the 300 on a GSB 132-1M. The GSB is my Montauk set up because it has better fish fighting ability than the SS, is less fragile and the torque of the 300 makes you the "Boss" around rocks. In a narrow strike zone with fast current when fishing buck tails(as Big Country pointed out at one of his seminars) the speed of the 275's retreive is an asset. I also heard Zeno say that the 275 retreive speed was an asset in being able to get back in touch with a metal lip that had "tumbled" in the curl of a breaking wave.

I could be accused of having looked for excuses to own both but I wouldn't get rid of either.

Like the golfers say-"Another club in the bag"!biggrin.gif

Marc

I have a 275 and a 250. I prefer the 275 due to the faster retrieve. I do feel like it makes a difference in how quickly you can your lure back in the water- especially when your working an inlet with some decent current.

I believe Craig told me the 275 is. 250 with a 300 spool?

He told me they designed it with guys who fish (bucktail) inlets / fast water in mind, which is what I believe Brandon is getting re: fast retrieve

250 Is Big Enough For Anything On Long Island Even Works Good On My 9 Foot, Although I Am Going To Get A 10 Foot Soon For It I Prefer The Sargus Light Weight And Smoothness Over The Vs. Just Cant Dunk The Sargus Or Brag About It As Much Lol.

i love my vs but would never consider more than one. penn 704, sargus 5000, and i just ordered the battle all 3 reels i can buy 3 of each for one vs.

John

Andrew (achase) fishes a 275, maybe he will chime in. I have never had a problem with the slower retrieve of the 300 & I fish inlets a lot. I will say that the handle design on the 275 is sweet; wish it was on all VS's.

Bottom line, bite the bullet and just add a 275 to your arsenal; you know that is what you really want to do.biggrin.gif If you must, sell off some pluggage - Keep the 300.

I have a question. From the combined experiences from VS users participating on this thread; how would you compare the VS's ability to lay line on a spool to say, a high end Shimano or even a Saltiga or top of the line Penn ? HappyWave.gif