Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
porgyhunter

FROST FISH.....What are they?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

View PostLooked into this last year, but was unclear as to what they are. Is a tom cod just a small cod? And how and when do you catch the bastids!

Whiting, also known as silver hake. Tom Cod and red hake will also fall into the "frostfish" category. All three could be caught together at times. Prime time was December in Rhody. Find a lighted pier, bridge or dock with access to 15-25 feet of water. Two hook high/low bottom rig with squid, mackeral strips, small size 2 hooks, will find them. Range from 1/2 - 2 pounds. Good flesh for fish cakes.

Think Jamestown, Newport, Gansett to give it a try.

DZ

View PostWhiting, also known as silver hake. Tom Cod and red hake will also fall into the "frostfish" category. All three could be caught together at times. Prime time was December in Rhody. Find a lighted pier, bridge or dock with access to 15-25 feet of water. Two hook high/low bottom rig with squid, mackeral strips, small size 2 hooks, will find them. Range from 1/2 - 2 pounds. Good flesh for fish cakes.

Think Jamestown, Newport, Gansett to give it a try.

DZ

Now or in days gone by when they were plentiful? The only times I see them anymore is the occasional one that gets posted here after someone pulled it out of a striper belly....as a kid we used to catch them all the time on the party boats out of Pt Pleasant/Breille(sp) NJ boats - and even once in a while, right in the surf...but I would've never thought it was possible these days

When i was a kid we used to prowl the beachs around Dartmouth with a frost fish spear and a flashlight and spear them in the shallows. I have never heard of anyone doing this. Did any of you ever do this???

View PostUsed to be you could pick up whiting on the beach after a storm. The commercial guys vacuumed them up and sold them overseas.

That's what I thought - they're a thing of the past and my brief moment of feeling encouraged has been bashed down

Probably some still available but it takes someone to go out and try. I did most of my frost fishing when I was younger and just wanted to extend the season for something to do. Now I like a warm couch and a celtics game. Also use to chase cod in the surf in February and March. Never know, they still might be there but no one is trying. The young crowd needs to be the trailblazers for this fishery.

DZ

View PostProbably some still available but it takes someone to go out and try. I did most of my frost fishing when I was younger and just wanted to extend the season for something to do. Now I like a warm couch and a celtics game. Also use to chase cod in the surf in February and March. Never know, they still might be there but no one is trying. The young crowd needs to be the trailblazers for this fishery.

DZ

Definitely at least a few, going by the number of striper fishermen who posts pics of striped bass stomach contents - many times including whiting

Definitely at least a few, going by the number of striper fishermen who posts pics of striped bass stomach contents - many times including whiting

There are some left, but the numbers have been driven down dramatically, just like cod. There are still cod caught, but the shore fishery is dead, and not just because no one goes out and tries. No one tries now because they stopped catching fish years ago.

attachment.php?attachmentid=303865&d=125

pic from last year.. but around the same time. they are out there.. they are catchable.. just do not expect to fill a bucket.. but if you do good ol days.