Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CTR0022

Ross Momentum

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

As an owner of 12 ross momentums which have great drag system with approximately 25lbs of drag pressure except for these great reels not being sealed what's going on with your drags that you needed them "beefed up" for.

Actually, I remember an article on drag pressures and the start up speed ross momentum. Was at the top for smoothness.

well i guess here is the issues

momentum 4 great drag, when i tighten it down it is locked down.

momentum 7 decent drag, when it gets tighten down it is still a little weak for my preference

momentum 8 horrible drag, it has been like that since day 1. i have disassembled everything and cleaned it thinking there may be some grease/oil in there. nope, put it back together and it is still very weak, on the boga it gives at 3 lbs.....

i guess i may just need to send it in to ross to have them look at it and fix....

no you can service them, all you need is a 11mm nut driver.

nope its assembled correctly, i got the momentum 4, 7, and 8 along with the big game canyon 6 and have disassembled/reassembled the 4 and bgc 6 many times and they work great. The momentum 8 out of the box has always had a weak drag (bought new from cabelas). The 7 has always had a somewhat weak drag also like 7 lbs on the boga (also bought new from cabelas). the momentum 7 and 8 have all the correct guts, and like said assembled correctly according to the ross diagram they have on there websites.

and no these are not the LT.

i will give ross a call to see if they can help me trouble shoot it. everything seems correct. even though i have had great customer service with ross while sending in reels i just would prefer to not have to mess with that.

The 7 lbs is not far off. The Momentum puts out 8lbs from a loaded spool. 12lbs max on an almost empty spool.

3lbs however is not even close to right. I would send it back to ross and let them have a look see. Good time of year to get that kind of stuff done.

Good company with good customer service. I lived not far from them in Colorado back in another life;-)

just did an interesting experiment. (some of my numbers from above are inaccurate, these are the most accurate to date)

these numbers are with loaded spools using a boga

Momentum 4; 4.5lbs

Big game canyon 6; 7.5 lbs

Momentum 7; 4 lbs

Momentum 8; 2 lbs

now here is the interesting part.

i was on Ross website looking at the assembly of the new momentum LT and noticed they added a washer to the assembly. so i added a washer and the drag increased by 2 lbs.

didn't do the 4

momentum 7; 6 lbs

Momentum 8; 4 lbs

fyi

adding 2 washers had no effect

View Postjust did an interesting experiment. (some of my numbers from above are inaccurate, these are the most accurate to date)

these numbers are with loaded spools using a boga

Momentum 4; 4.5lbs

Big game canyon 6; 7.5 lbs

Momentum 7; 4 lbs

Momentum 8; 2 lbs

now here is the interesting part.

i was on Ross website looking at the assembly of the new momentum LT and noticed they added a washer to the assembly. so i added a washer and the drag increased by 2 lbs.

didn't do the 4

momentum 7; 6 lbs

Momentum 8; 4 lbs

fyi

adding 2 washers had no effect

Again, I would just take the offseason to send them back to Ross and let them take care of it. Good people there, they will straighten them out for you.

The Momentum drags can only fully rotate just a little over 3 full turns. My Momentum 4 rotates 3 1/12 times based on a clock face reference. The drag torque at the fully rotated position depends on the set of the drag at the starting position.

As you know, because you have disassembled and reassembled your own Momentums, you can tighten the hexogonal plastic nut (which captures the threaded metal hexagonal cap nut, and onto which the drag knob is press fit) to a starting torque level before the walking plastic split-ring (mine is red colored) is inserted to complete the reassembly. Mounting the drag knob is the final reassembly step.

What I am trying to say is that you can adjust the starting drag which will affect the final drag at the fully rotated position.

The drag design isn't amenable to fine control of this initial drag setting, it is somewhat coarse in fact. But you have some flexibility. I never have a need to have my fully engaged drag position to create a completely locked down drag, so I set my initial drag a little loose which still allows the drag to slip (although very tight) with some effort at the fully seated position.

This is the only option for affecting drag I am aware of, other than an inadvertent error in reassembly.

thanks Palegic, i understand what you are saying and even before i put the red clip in i tighten the drag all the way down and am still only getting the 4lbs of drag out of the reel. i guess i will just send em back to ross this week and have them take a look at them.

thanks for the advice.

CTR0022

Good luck. It will be interesting whether Ross clues you in on what was wrong. They are good and responsive people, however, I've only had one conversation with a repair person when they called me about doing some additional work on the reel beyond what I requested. It was a good and useful conversation. I suggest you include a note asking for a call or a note in the return package with a brief explanation of what was wrong.

Again, good luck.

Tom