Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassHoll

Fish Tags-What do ya do?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I caught a striper for the dinner table last night. When I brought it home for cleaning, I discovered the fish was tagged. The tag has a number and says "RETURN LITTORAL SOCIETY HIGHLANDS NJ 07732" Is this enough information to return the tag? Anyone have a street address? Also, the tag went all the way through the flesh in front of the dorsal to form a loop. The flesh looked open and soar. Is this the way stripers are normally tagged? I thought that they were inserted like a barbed dart. Doesn't this tag loop become a snag hazard for the fish?

Everyones thought on this subject is appreciated.

------------------

BASSHOLL

Record the approx weight, length and general area you caught the fish. The addy is correct, they will get the mail.

As far as the tag being tied in a loop, I've seen the same thing and I agree.

B.H.

I've seen the same thing with the tagging spot sores on the fish and i think it is quite common,i dont think the wound is fatal to the fish,i caught a nice teen sized striper in L.I. sound that was tagged in the east river 3 years prior.

Also caught & released one years back in the sound who made it from north carolina!

They send you back a small patch and a track study on the fish.

I thought the proper tag area was behind the dorsal fin? Anyone know for sure?

The proper way to tag a fish for the ALS is to insert the tag behind the dorsal fin about 1/2" deep. Tie the tag so that there's about 1" of a "loop" to give the fish room to grow. And then to trim the tag ends.

Yes, this does present a very slight hazard to the fish to getting snagged - I once fought a fish for a couple minutes only to have it come unbuttoned - and almost immediately, I was back in again, this time with an apparently much larger fish. Only when I landed the fish, it turned out to be the same fish I was fighting that pulled the hook just to get my plug tangled in it's ALS tag when it was gettin' away. I might be the only person to have landed a ALS tagged fish of around 30" by the tag itself wink.gif

There isn't any other group who tags more fish or funds more studies on the impact of those tags than the ALS - their members tag over 25,000 fish each year. The data from these tags is then made available to anyone who requests it. It's a monumental help in fish migrations and growth rates. I was a member for years and will be rejoining the effort sometime this week - I found a bag with about 25 tags and cards in my piles of stuff recently, might as well put them to good use smile.gif

Their website, which unfortunately has very little information, is at American Littoral Society

TimS

For what it's worth, ALS tag and return information is one of the data sets used when determining fishing mortality levels and future regulations for bass.

I STILL hate the wound those tags make... there's gotta be a better way. I don't think I could do that to a fish... much less one with stripes.

Hey, ya gotta break a few eggs to make an omlet, right? wink.gifwink.gif

Seriously, there's been much discussion concerning the wound these tags leave. Yes, it can be ugly, I hate to see it. Done properly, it's the best method for untrained taggers to use. I say untrained because without proper training, the belly type/dart type tags can be fatal when installed incorrectly. Poking something into the stomach of a striper is much, much more likely to damage some internals and kill the fish than poking through the meat behind it's dorsal. Still, taggers should follow the guidelines that come with the tagging kits, to a "T". I just rejoined the ALS yesterday and will start tagging again. I'm also thinking that we could start an SOL tagging club - it's possible to register an entire club in the ALS tagging program for a nominal fee - which I'd pay. Then anyone interested in tagging any salt water fish could do so just by purchasing the tagging kits and registering (for free) with the SOL Tagging club. We could then keep track of all fish our "club" tags right here online and celebrate each and every tag return. It'd be interesting, I think it's a killah idea smile.gif

TimS

Yes Basshol...pointed dart type...Atlantic Bass Inoceanates...(sells)You insert in left side behind Dorsal fin down on the side of fish where the meat is about 1/2 -1" thick...twist and pull out leaving a streamline tag... NO Big loopy catch all..YUCK !! I've tagged my fish in the water along side of me.. swim away nice..stuck one in my hand..(i'm sick)...didn't hurt..