Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluefish

Tides and Currents

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

can anyone elaborate on tides(high and low) and currents(flood,ebb and slack)besides definitions,what is the most sought after type of tide and current conditions..i know we look for moving water on either side to provide bass with an ambush strategy on baitfish but are there certain conditions to avoid completely....again....i know we should "just go fish" and not be overly concerned with tide but scientifically there must be certain conditions which BASS prefer.......

Bass do prefer moving water but, different combinations can combine to make it a so-so- night of fishing or a fantastic night of fishing.You really have to tie into a specific "spot" to answer the question fully.

Some spots are good only at hight water,some are good at mid-tide coming or ebbing,again depends on the spot.

My examples would be one spot I fish in narragansett,when casting you are looking east,to my left is a cove that cuts in deep and to the west,This spot is good during the whole dropping tide,The falling water comes out of the cove headind north east and goes right past me ,standing on the point,when this current is being smacked in the face from a southeast wind ,the fishing is the best but, a southwest wind sometimes pushes the current away from the shore and the feeding fish will be to far out to reach.So, this spot is at its best with a light to moderate southeast wind and on the dropping tide.Make that a moon tide and everything turns up a notch with stronger currents and a better sweep.

other spots I fish are only good on the last hour of the incoming tide and with northwest winds!! It really makes a difference where you are fishing,thats the key!There is no one tide that is "better" than the other until you place it with a specific spot.

As for currents,bass love currents! the stronger the better! combine that with good structure nearby and deep water in close proximity and you have the makings of a hotspot on either tide!

Some spots are good on both tides and its just a matter of where to position yourself on the water.Some places are lousy at moon high water because you just cant reach them! Same holds true for moon low tides,these places are only fisheble on moon low tides.I fish a few areas where there are reefs that are only reachable from shore for short periods when the lunar low tides are present! But, when they are,they produce!! The fish are there but, shore fisherman cant reach them at other tide stages.

As for inlets and breachways,some are better after they have droped for a while,Charlestown breachway is a prime example, everyone has to be there for the start of the ebb and fish there brains out,I wait until its four hours down! Thats whaen the best fishing is,the last two hours of the tide with a southeast wind!

I really feel its all about location,location,location!!! As to what tide is thge best.

thanks eelman...i know you're right, i mean the same "tide label" like high or low or "current label" like ebb etc. ARE definitely NOT alike in any two places...but i'm assuming then that the fastest water in any given situation would be the "ebb" or coming water...and like you said "bass love currents,the stronger the better"

I agree with the eelman, you can't say one tide or another is better until it's tied in with a specific location. Some of the spots I fish locally produce better on the outgoing, because the better structure (deeper water, a drop-off, a shadow line, you name it) is downtide on that tide. Add say, a SW wind pushing against the dropping tide, creating a nice rip over the structure, and you up the odds in your favor. In other spots, the incoming is better because of the time lag between high tide and slack current, there isn't enough water over the bars on the ebb to hold fish there. Some places produce on both tides, but you have to move around and find the "spot within the spot", say 100' of a jetty will produce better on the drop, while a different 100' will produce better on the flood--and it again is tied into structure and how the current and wind conditions funnel bait towards it. Most inlets and breachways have the reputation of producing on the ebb, and that's when they're most heavily fished. But in many of those same places, the last hour or so of the flood can be just as productive, and you can have the whole place to yourself. You may, however, have to know just what rock to stand on to hit the fish on the "off" tide, and chances are pretty good it won't be the same one you'd cast from on the ebb.