Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
old_username

Smelly Jelly, Shedder Oil, etc

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Any consensus out there on the effectiveness of the many scent options available. We have Smelly Jelly, shedder oil, bunker oil, cod liver oil, spray cans of assorted stuff, etc? I have even heard that WD-40 is fish oil based. Would you use any on artificials, wood, soft & hard plastics, jigs, terminal tackle? Warning to anyone who has never used it! Getting bunker oil on your hands will find you spending several nights in separate bedrooms from your spouse/live-in. Cats will love to sleep with you!

I like to use pure bunker oil, nothing else like it. I even put a little of it on my toast in the morning with a cup of java, yum yum.

I have never tried smelly jelly, but heard good things about it, I need to buy some once my bottle of bunker oil runs out.

Also, if I am chunking and want to re fuel the chunk with some scent I will throw some bunker oil in there.

But above all, I think I would use any scent the most to cover up human scents.

[This message has been edited by NJCoastFlyFish (edited 03-09-2003).]

I use clam oil on bloodworms when fishing for winter flounder. I'll also use cheddar crab oil with sand worms or cheddar crabs for weakfish but never really tried it on artificials.

Like to hear moresmile.gif

Its like many other things related to fishing. Some times it makes a difference some time it does not. I think the most important time to use it is with rubber. Especially new rubber that smells rubbery.

Bunker oil is effective but so messy in comparison to smelly jelly. Smelly jelly is good stuff. Bunker flavor is my favorite. Works well for bass, weaks, blues, even fluke.

Ya ever have those nights where bass are just "bumping" your plugs? Not really hitting them hard, but just enuff to let ya know they were there? Smelly Jelly sometimes gives ya that extra second ya need to keep the plug in their mouth so you can set the hook. I think it works.

------------------

Baubus5@comcast.net

Last year on a local river I was fishing a rubber shad for about an half hour with out a bump put on some Smelly Jelly next cast bag I get a 24inch bass two cast later a 34 incher and five cast after that another 34 incher made a beliver out of me. Thom T

I've used the spray can BANG w/ success.

They have SHRIMP, MENHADEN, CRAB scents that I use for weakfish. I spray the sandworms, bucktails, and crabs peices.

For bass I use MENHADEN spray on the clams.

I have tried several swcents on jigs, the saltwater types are usaully too strong and I have had better success with with the freshwater varieties in saltwater. IMO fish hold on longer when using scents giving the angler a better chance at setting the hook

Tight Lines Tony

Last year on a local river I was fishing a rubber shad for about an half hour with out a bump put on some Smelly Jelly next cast bag I get a 24inch bass two cast later a 34 incher and five cast after that another 34 incher made a beliver out of me. Thom T

That's along the same lines that made me a believersmile.gif Except, being a stubborn bastage like I am, I would try jigs first without Smelly Jelly. That way, I could be sure that once I put it on and starting getting bites that the Smelly Jelly was at least partially responsible for the sudden action.

I'll never fish a rubber lure without it...'specially rubber rigged eels...I've seen it make all the difference in the world with rubber rigged eels. Like night and dayicon14.gif

Bunker oil is nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty and stankyicon25.gif And you'll never get it off yer stuff - evercwm24.gif The fish like it, thoughwink.gif

TimS

I'm a believer in Smelly Jelly on rigged plastic eels also. Some nights you can't buy a bass until you rub a little on and bang! You're into fish. Same goes for the shad tails.

------------------

SOL #860

Share what you know

Learn what you don't