montauk then and now

Rate this topic

Bassslayer92

View PostIs that one of those fishing stands like they have on Cuttyhunk? How long ago was that?

Probably 20's or 30's

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

View Postso, for you old timers....was fishing under the light better then? i know the fish where bigger back then, but how was the structure? deep? rips? special rocks? anything like that

I'm not an "old timer" (well, my KIDS seem to think I am - but that's another story altogether) but I can tell you that as recently as the 90's the fishing under the Lighthouse was WAAAAAYYY better than it is now. The rip set up better back then. Also, the way the rocks were laid out before - with an "outer ring", a small tidal pool area (great for landing fish, staging up, setting up tackle etc) and finally the wall of rocks - was just easier to work with.

<p><p></p></p>

View PostI'm not an "old timer" (well, my KIDS seem to think I am - but that's another story altogether) but I can tell you that as recently as the 90's the fishing under the Lighthouse was WAAAAAYYY better than it is now. The rip set up better back then. Also, the way the rocks were laid out before - with an "outer ring", a small tidal pool area (great for landing fish, staging up, setting up tackle etc) and finally the wall of rocks - was just easier to work with.

Montauk was nicer then and false bar was alot different to.

R.I.P.DAD LOVE U..
R.I.P.JEFF HEATH..

• 2 weeks later...
View PostAside from Montauk, does anyone recall Cedar Bar? Remember it was like a vast open desert with that big lagoon in the back? I recall driving from that to the beach because I didn't want to "walk that far". There was a nice gully all the bunker would get trapped in.

Now, there is but a sliver of beach remaining - it's up to the dunes and getting worse.

I started a new thread with pics of cedar.

View Postso, for you old timers....was fishing under the light better then? i know the fish where bigger back then, but how was the structure? deep? rips? special rocks? anything like that

Montauk has changed alot over the years .

That fish platform I believe goes back to about the mid 20s . I believe there was also one on the reef.

From what I have been told,in the fiftys there was deep water close to the beach and the boats would troll very close.

At this time there were great runs of pollack. In the spring and fall

There was also a beach under the light

In the late sixtys there were five good rocks you could stand on in the water under the light. I had many good nights there.

Willie