Need recommendations for a fly tying book

Rate this topic

daverojo77

Guys I went out as oer a recommendation from someone on here I got the Left / Clouser video. 50 years behind the vise. It shows you a bunch of stuff in the first part, like little tricks and tips. then the last segments are how to tie a clouser by Bob and Lefty shows how to tie a deceiver. Fantastic video it actually aided in my vice buying decision.

Also The fisherman suggested I start off with the Ray's fly, I thought that was a great idea. I'm gonna basically keep tying those until I feel comfortable moving into the deceiver.

I'm going to get a book for reference though. Sometimes it's great to see pictures.

Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate the suggestions.

"Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies / Farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain. "

From what they say everybody learns from different methods...right/left brain stuff I suppose.

When I started tying (before videos) I had books and magazines that took to me to a certain level. But I got really going by working with other tyers that were in my area.

I saw examples of dubbing loops, whip finishers, how to keep side hackles from turning etc. but the pictures only got me so far.

Almost every fly tyer I've ever met has been more than willing to sit down at a vice with a novice and play around with the feathers and fur. Some of these guys have years of experience and love to give away their knowledge to guys that want to learn.

Just start asking around, maybe check out a fly club, check around with a fly shop about lessons... the people you meet are great!

Good luck! Paul