Daiwa Saltiga 2010 : The Review

Rate this topic

Alan Hawk

View PostThe ball bearing (arrow) sits right above the raised area we have just seen. But because the second shim does not fit on that raised area and is free to move off centre, that second shim gets wedged either underneath or around the bearing preventing it from rotating like a normal bearing should do. So basically the design can't accommodate a second shim, and if that second shim is inserted it stops the bearing from functioning so that when the spool gives line it actually slips around the outer race of the non-functional bearing.

I am trying to figure out all the issues in your review so please bear with me if I ask some stupid questions.

In the Saltiga 5000, which is the exact same model as yours, I found that it has two original shims underneath the bearing, which exactly matches what you described. However when I move it with a soft plastic tooth pick, it moves very smoothly.

Then I took out the 4500, which I have been fishing during the last several weeks, and has a third shim I inserted weeks ago to adjust the winding shape. I tried to move the bearing with the soft plastic tooth pick, you are absolutely right that it didn't rotate. When I forced it, the bearing rotated with the third shim. The third shim laid around the bearing. Then I took out the third shim and left it the factory two shims, and rotated it with a soft plastic tooth pick, it moves very smoothly again.

Does this mean if I leave it fatory state , problem solved as long as I feel ok with the wind shape?

There is something bothering me. How long do you think the mag seal will last? Do I have to send it back to Japan for maintanance every year? I googled the web but found no answers.

I hate a reel which needs the anual maintanance like a VS. If so, I guess I will kiss the Daiwa mag seal reels good bye, though I enjoyed so much its freshwater high end reels and the previous model of Saltiga.

Thank you.

View Post

Then I took out the 4500, which I have been fishing during the last several weeks, and has a third shim I inserted weeks ago to adjust the winding shape. I tried to move the bearing with the soft plastic tooth pick, you are absolutely right that it didn't rotate. When I forced it, the bearing rotated with the third shim. The third shim laid around the bearing. Then I took out the third shim and left it the factory two shims, and rotated it with a soft plastic tooth pick, it moves very smoothly again.

When you added a shim, it got jammed around the bearing as you describe. But if you take it off, the second one is going to barely clear it but they are still going to be in contact. With the spool off the bearing is free to move up a little and you could turn it with a toothpick, but when the spool is inserted it takes the bearing down and presses it against the second shim. This is why I said "it gets jammed either around or beneath the bearing". The design was made to accommodate only one shim. When a single shim is left there, the bearing will never touch it because the inner race will rest on the small raised part in the centre.

As for your reel, just put the extra shim back. You added it to give you the optimum line lay and it's ridiculous that you would be forced to take it off because it jammed the bearing! Keeping the bearing free to rotate is not that important. In my reel the second shim moved off centre (sideways) with use and got wedged deeper that even with the spool off it won't turn.

Annual service is not needed. Wikipedia says this

However, the surfactant tends to break down over time (a few years), and eventually the nano-particles will agglomerate, and they will separate out and no longer contribute to the fluid's magnetic response.
I asked someone whose work once dealt with ferromagnetic fluid what those "few years" translate to, and he said that in an application that involves medium to high speed rotation he would say 3 years give or take. This is why I said that I would be changing mine every couple of years for peace of mind. Is Daiwa's formula really superior? Can't tell.

I understand how you feel after investing that amount, but keep in mind that you still have a top reel that is not likely to let you down or fail when you are fishing hard. Also if you work deep jigs all day the lightness of the action and free spinning will leave your muscles aching less at the end of the day smile.gif

Thanks Alan for sharing with as your knowledge and experience.And for giving to as chance to see inside, before we make a decision to bay or not this expensive reel !J do not believe that the daiwa spared on that bearing, there is a reason why it is open, maybe for easy greasing.This bearing caring more force according the another one which is smaller.When work it's speed fast. Anyway it's easy replace it with another bearing fully sealed with silicon rubber. As for the magnetic fluid, I think someone, somehow in Daiwa put more than is necessary .And magnets have not enough power to kept all in one please and ofcourse centrifugal force play role here ?? .And yes, new Saltiga again make new standards in fishing reel , that's my opinion about this beauty beast, now when J see inside her body !

You‘re at the mercy of whatever talent you have

View PostWhen you added a shim, it got jammed around the bearing as you describe. But if you take it off, the second one is going to barely clear it but they are still going to be in contact. With the spool off the bearing is free to move up a little and you could turn it with a toothpick, but when the spool is inserted it takes the bearing down and presses it against the second shim. This is why I said "it gets jammed either around or beneath the bearing". The design was made to accommodate only one shim. When a single shim is left there, the bearing will never touch it because the inner race will rest on the small raised part in the centre.

As for your reel, just put the extra shim back. You added it to give you the optimum line lay and it's ridiculous that you would be forced to take it off because it jammed the bearing! Keeping the bearing free to rotate is not that important. In my reel the second shim moved off centre (sideways) with use and got wedged deeper that even with the spool off it won't turn.

Annual service is not needed. Wikipedia says this

I asked someone whose work once dealt with ferromagnetic fluid what those "few years" translate to, and he said that in an application that involves medium to high speed rotation he would say 3 years give or take. This is why I said that I would be changing mine every couple of years for peace of mind. Is Daiwa's formula really superior? Can't tell.

I understand how you feel after investing that amount, but keep in mind that you still have a top reel that is not likely to let you down or fail when you are fishing hard. Also if you work deep jigs all day the lightness of the action and free spinning will leave your muscles aching less at the end of the day smile.gif

Thank you, Alan. That's really helpful.

I hope Daiwa will fix all the issues in your review for its bigest ones in the coming year, and Shimano will upgrade its Stella SW in 2011.

Alan,

As a lifelong fisherman who truly knows not one thing about his own reels, I am amazed at the level of detail and explanation you provide in these reviews. I can't express enough how great it is to have a guy like you onboard here to do this for us.

How did you become so knowledgeable about reels in the first place? Have you ever considered trying to build a reel yourself or have you?

I WISH I had the brain you did, so I could service my VSB250. I'm terrified of my own reel, lol. cwm31.gif

I look forward to both upcoming reviews. I can say without a doubt, we all await the new VS offering reivew! drool.gif

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

Thanks everyone for the praise. I'm glad you had a good read beers.gif

View Postand Shimano will upgrade its Stella SW in 2011.

Not happening. According to every source I have, as it stands Shimano will not be thinking about upgrading the SW for at least 6-7 more years. Of course anything could happen, but I doubt they will see the need to change it any time sooner.

View PostAlan,

As a lifelong fisherman who truly knows not one thing about his own reels, I am amazed at the level of detail and explanation you provide in these reviews. I can't express enough how great it is to have a guy like you onboard here to do this for us.

How did you become so knowledgeable about reels in the first place? Have you ever considered trying to build a reel yourself or have you?

Thanks for the extremely generous words. You are very kind. I am in no way knowledgeable. I have met Japanese and Swedish tackle designers who forgot more about them than I will ever know. I just love spinners and have fished them my whole life, picking bits and pieces along the way smile.gif

I do have a blueprint in my head of the most perfect reel my brain could conceive. Been updating and changing the design for about 15 years now, and I daydream that when I retire I will indeed hand-make a few in my workshop. Not for profit though, I just want it to exist.

View PostThanks everyone for the praise. I'm glad you had a good read beers.gif

Not happening. According to every source I have, as it stands Shimano will not be thinking about upgrading the SW for at least 6-7 more years. Of course anything could happen, but I doubt they will see the need to change it any time sooner.

Thanks for the extremely generous words. You are very kind. I am in no way knowledgeable. I have met Japanese and Swedish tackle designers who forgot more about them than I will ever know. I just love spinners and have fished them my whole life, picking bits and pieces along the way smile.gif

I do have a blueprint in my head of the most perfect reel my brain could conceive. Been updating and changing the design for about 15 years now, and I daydream that when I retire I will indeed hand-make a few in my workshop. Not for profit though, I just want it to exist.

I got Dibbs on the 1st one! biggrin.gifhighfive.gif

View PostI got Dibbs on the 1st one! biggrin.gifhighfive.gif

He's going to name it "The Mokes" you know......just an fyi. tongue.gif

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

Thanks for the break down on the design aspect, something we all like to see.

Designing reels is always going to be a compromise between strength and free spin of reels.

Maybe Daiwa found a way to reduce the tightness without compromising strength?

Stella owners were always sprouting about the free-spin of reels. Maybe Daiwa took this on board knowing the sealed bearings were good but because handle spinners were influencing the market it was something they needed to change?

One thing about GM and Ford fans is you'll rarely hear when they have had a bad experience with their team product. Definitely if it has been stood on or whacked on a hand rail.

Saltiga and Stella products are both awesome and most of us will rarely get to use them enough extremely to wear them out. Not unless they are stood on or whacked on hand rail.

Fishers who have run their reel through a 100 big Giant Trevally with the drag wound up to 25 kilos will know. That's if you wish to be connected to a 100 kilo Tuna with a 25 kilo drag setting. Its a lot to pick up let alone hang onto.

Hanging a 100 kilo Tuna off the end of a spinning reel is always going to require a service because of the inherit design nature of a spinning reel vs an overhead game reel. Worm drives require maintenance.

Plenty of reels are serviced with either Cal's light or heavy grease without complaint. Light or heavy is a choice needed to be made depending on the application.

I have the Saltiga Expedition and Saltiga 4500 S-Extreme Maverick and have no problems with them. Mine are backed with an awesome warranty which I doubt many have even needed reflecting the quality.

They're tight, its how I like it, tight biggrin.gif