Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

How much ground clearance do you need?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

My 93 Explorer has about 9", before I air down.

I'd like more, I do bang the occasional rock at Montauk or the Sidewalk Jetty area of Democrat.

SUVs are getting lower and the Explorer's been settling like bad landfill for several years.

Looks like I need a pickup, when next I buy, to get the honest 9" (deflated) that I'd like.

What's the take of the board on ground clearance?

I own a Bravada (same as the Blazer).

I only go off road for fishing and I do not consider ground clearance to be much of an issue. I think if you stick to a reasonable speed, avoid rocks, and avoid areas where you are sanding off your undercoating -- I have never had a problem with any of these --- you should be fine.

However, my fishing buddy, who goes to the same places I do, says "ground clearance is king."

Lift kit won't help your real ground clearance, ground clearance is measured to the lowest point, usually the pumpkin or shock mounts. I got 14" on mine...4x4 vans rule biggrin.gif

------------------

banana.gif

My wife says I never listen to her...or something like that.

Most places on LI youre fine.The wheelbase is considered when approaching obstacles,like the Sore Thumb by the rocks,I use the angle approach id I can.In the spring when I change tires Ill have almost 14 at the differential,now I can really bury er if I screw up