Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

Bucktails - Pork Rind Size

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I personally would start by using Pork Rind about the same length as your bucktail. As conditions or feeding patterns warrant you can alter this but if the Rind is too long you may miss a some hookups. Just my .02 on this subject. There are no Definites in fishing. Good Luck

sb

IMO it's all about how the rind floats the jig,....You can use a 1.5 ounce jig with smaller or larger rinds to get to various depths or you can use the same rind and just adjust the weight of the jig to do the same thing. To me it's easier to keep the rind the same and vary the jigs. I use the 70S size with almost everything,..and I slit the tail for better action in the water!

I don't have too much experience w/ BT'S and have not hooked up using them, but as far as using the length- weight method being stupid, you could write the man a letter and tell how stupid it is, and I am sure he would write back and say it work's for him. wink.gif

View PostDoc Muller's book basically say's 1" per 1/4" oz for 3/4oz - 1 1/2oz

View PostYep...another gem from the Doctor...cwm33.gif

I don't recall reading that. Could you tell me where in the book it is written?

I have heard him say that you want approx. the same length as the BT because of the currents coming off of the BT to make the ring flutter. This is a practice in fly tying as well.

He also talks about varying rind length according to the conditions, much like many of you do.

I've read a lot of comments about his book that are false. There are a lot of haters on here.

I recomend reading the book and making up your own mind. I bet you won't catch less fish.

And listen to Emgred.

Chigger- When I said "basically" it was not written in stone, so to say. Chapter 4 Why Pork? under 240-s rind style, he mentions 3 rind lengths, then the three weight's. It is what I got out of the paragraph. I am sure locations will dictate different methods.

This is getting to be out of hand. Everyone uses what works for them. "Doc" not only wrote a book about using bucktails but worked closely with Uncle Josh on both their swinging hook bucktails and also the pork rinds and the sizes. He was the one that had them package the three sizes with their respective bucktails.

Him saying a inch for every 1/4 oz is because the bucktails get bigger as the weight increases (some makers and hand tied may remain the same size from the tiers choice of hair size).

The bottom line is to use the same size as the size bucktail you choose to throw to match conditions. And color does matter at times. some days a yellow strip works better then red... But throw what ever color you want...as long as it's red and white.