Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DMacLeod

VMC Siwash hooks ?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys, got some dressed siwash hooks from Tim the other day and decided to change out hooks on some plugs. I got some 6/0 s for 2 1/2 oz plugs, no problem closing. Also got some 8/0 s for large wood and whoa nelly. Couldn't close these with pliers, had to take plugs down to my vice in the basement. These things are a bear. How do you guys close these eyes? I believe Tim when he says that they won't open, probably put 200 lbs of pressure on these beauties to close them.

I close the 7/0's with two hands on the pliers (usually Gerber Multi-Plier multi-tool) and AWAY from my body, cause the hook can and will slip, and if your foolish like me, you try it when you got a 3/0 already split ringed to the front hangar. OUCH, glad I haven't gone too deep yet.

JC

They are something, huh? Them 8/0's are monsters!

I use my trusty Shrade multi-tool thingy. The inside part of the pliers, just before the cutters...they are the only one of the multi-tools I have here that can close the 8/0's cwm24.gif

Channel locks would be a good bet, the longer arms give excellent leverage smile.gif

TimS