Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

Comm. Fishing Most Dangerous Job in USA

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Whoa, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics sez that Commercial Fishing is THE most dangerous job. frown.gif Read the list, which lists occupation, relative risk (the "average job has a relative risk of 1.0), and leading fatal event. If you're on this list, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! cwm31.gif

--------------------------------------------

Fishermen, 21.3, Drowning

Timber Cutters, 20.6, Struck by Object

Airplane Pilots, 19.9, Airplane Crashes

Structural Metal Workers, 13.1, Falls

Taxi Cab Drivers, 9.5, Homicide

Construction Workers, 8.1, Vehicular & Falls

Roofers, 5.9, Falls

Electric Power Installers/Repairers, 5.7, Electrocution

Truck Driver, 5.3, Highway Crashes

Farm Occupations, 5.1, Vehicular

Police/Detectives/Supervisors, 3.4, Homicide, Highway Crashes

Nonconstruction Laborers, 3.2, Vehicular

Electricians, 3.2, Electrocution

Welders & Cutters, 2.4, Falls & Fires

Guards, 2.3, Homicide

Groundkeepers/Gardeners, 1.9, Vehicular

Carpenters, 1.6, Falls

Auto Mechanics, 1.1, Highway Crashes & Homicide

Supervisors/Proprietors/Sales, 1.0, Homicide

Cashiers, 0.9, Homicide

SOURCE: Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics - Compensation and Working Conditions Online

* Relative Risk Rate is the fatality rate for a given group divided by the fatality rate for all workers. A rate of 2.0 means the worker is twice as likely as the average worker to die on the job.

The scariest thing about that list is that the Airplane Pilot is more dangerous than Taxi Cab Driver. So an airplane pilots job is more dangerous than a job where the guy is driving like a maniac and likely to be the victim of homocide? Maybe flying isn;t such a good idea.

There was an intersting program on TLC about three months ago that ran a couple of times detailing each one of those occupations. Did anyone see this? For the most dangerous they went along on a King Crab fishing boat off the coast of Alaska. Pitching decks, freezing cold, driving rain and snow and 20 hour days at times. No thanks. They did make something like 50K for a few months work though.

Mike W.

Having lost an uncle-to-be in the Point Pleasant inlet almost 20 years ago and a High School classmate in another accident two years ago, and coming from a family of commercial fishermen I can attest to those figures.

the guys in alaska that harvest king crabs take the top prize...i don't care how much money you can make, those guys are soft!icon15.gif

Boy I haven't heard that expression in a while... you must be from New England! (That's as in "in the head".) wink.gif

WOW,no wonder my comp rate is over 17%. Saw the guys in Alaska crab fishing the other night on the Travel Channel and the bar pilots on the Columbia River to the Pacific. I'm still wondering if these guys have balls or no brains at all. No Thanks. Prospector

I saw that show on the discovery channel a couple months ago. It was pretty cool how those Alaskan King Crabbers do their jobs. If airplane pilots are so high, wouldn't being a passenger be pretty high too? frown.gif

Wondering why sand hog didn't make the list. Maybe b/c they are so specialized and are so small in number that they don't rate their own category.

You couldn't pay me a gazillion bucks to climb down into a hole (like those brave souls doing the big dig up in Beantown).

I heard the most dangerous things on a commercial vessel are the metal cables used to winch up nets or what not...when those things snap, anything in the way gets amputated.

-FWW, glad to be a desk-jockey

The best book I've read on what it's like as a deckhand on a crab boat in the Bering Sea is "Working on the Edge" by Spike Walker...it's the next thing to being onboard, he has perfect pitch when it comes to describing life aboard a crabber. Amazon has it...a great read.

------------------

Jerry Vovcsko

**Jerry, I removed the link/URL from your signature in this post. It's the very first line in the user agreement where I stated "no links in your signatures"...I put it there cause everyone used to tell me they never read the whole thing wink.gif Now they only gotta read the first linesmile.gif Please edit this from your signature file and please remove it from each post where it's been used. Thanks.

TimS

[This message has been edited by TimS (edited 06-29-2001).]

Those numbers surprise me too. I can see fishing being dangerous, but flying? I've only crashed twice and even then only lost a handful of passengers. No Sweat.

My guess on the Airplane pilots is that they are not just talking the commercial guys. They are talking military, crop dusters, and maybe even private planes (which do seem to drop out of the sky fairly frequently).