Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunter123

casting bucktails

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

How is the best way to set up a rod for casting bucktails with a worm on them, I'm thinking 20# maim line to a ball swivle than a piece of leader. Or would i set it up like for the surf. main line 20# 14' of 40# shock leader to a swivle clip then the bucktail. I'm learning.

Braid to a swivel. About 36 inches of Mono or leader material to a snap or clip.Attach bucktail to the snap. Different # test on different rods and applications. 1 example 30# braid on my 10# rod with 40# leader. 60# leader if I am in the rocks for better abrasion resistance.

Sounds odd. Never heard of surfcasting a bucktail with a worm on it. Porkrind, plastics, yes. But not a worm. Won't it fall off on the cast? This is new to me. Something I should know?

View PostSounds odd. Never heard of surfcasting a bucktail with a worm on it. Porkrind, plastics, yes. But not a worm. Won't it fall off on the cast? This is new to me. Something I should know?

He's probably talking about a curly tail...I use 30# fireline attached to a 36" of 50# mono leader by an alberto knot and a clip at the end with a smilin bill bucktail white or black and white and a white uncle josh porkrind trailer. seems to work for me

There are those soft plastic sand worms. I've used 'em, but not on a buck tail. Anything is worth a shot with this thing we do. Bass do like sand worms. smile.gif

I'll use the bucks tails as is or with a pork trailer.

Yup, rubber worms work fine.

I'll use my ABC (Already Been Chewed) freshwater sluggos as well.

To the OP, if you must fish mono, IMHO 20lb is too heavy.

15lb should get you some more distance without sacrificing that much strength.

(YMMV, and all that yadda yadda biggrin.gif )