Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan S

Case for Circle Hooks

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Got out last Sunday and used live bait to entice a "Large". Problem: When I pulled the fish in it was gut hooked and the stomach lining was ripped pretty good! And it was a very ripe female. I kept the fish, assuming it would probably die from the ripped stomach. When I cleaned it, must have been 3 lbs of eggs in it! Damn! I was disgusted! In retrospect, maybe I should have turned her loose and maybe she would have spawned before she died. Anyway, just another case for circle hooks.

I have to agree with you Dan,cirle hooks are the way to go.Better for the bass,and much better for us,they are almost unstoppable.I use the large ones,9/0 or 10/0 Gammies.

------------------

KDOGG

"Throwin the metal"

Hey Tim, You dont offer circle hooks? Seems like something worth picking up on someone elses recomendation what with the different "sizing" problems. Easy on the bait flinger cracks!

Dan,

You did the right thing. My understanding is that a seriously injured striper will die w/in 24 hrs.

I posted this a week or so ago, it is the Md. DNR Circle hook study. I believe it was made with 9/O or 10/O mustads, I would use 15/O mustads for big stripers, myself, although 13/O are good for small fish.

Anyway the results of the study are striking.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...hookstudy.html

Steve

I had a similar problem a few days ago with

a Blue. The hook came out very near the eye at the bottom which exposed the eye ball with a 1/4" hole. I was stuck with a dilema to let it go or not. So I did. I don't know what type of survival factor it will have. Crossed fingers. I felt terrible indeed.

If you mean a bluefish by saying "Blue" he'll be ok. Most fish fuction fine with one eyeball as long as it isn't infected. The fish's body can actully identify the problem and shut down the eye. If you have ever seen a fish eye very cloudy, then you have witinessed the proccess. Fish may have tiny brains, but they know how survive well. (maybe eyen better than some humans out there)

I was sold on the circle hooks Monday after a morning of fluke fishing. Used them to hold a live Killi rigged downline of a Jig. No hook set. Just wait till the fish bites, and slowly start taking his meal away. When he hits it good just keep the line pressure on and reel him in. The Gami's are nice and sharp and easily set themselves in the mouth. Caught about 30 fish and not a single deep hook.

As for eyes...my fishing partner pulled in a healthy schoolie last night. Thing had slammed his jig with unusual gusto. After getting it up on the jetty we found that it had nothing in it's left eye socket other then well healed scar tissue.

Just curious? I started fishing with circle hooks this year. And love them a lot I'm using smaller hooks then most guys mention here but i'm getting off track here, back to my question. On my last trip my buddie gut hooked a striper on a circle hook this is the first time I've seen this has anyone else ever gut hooked a fish with a circle hook?

Dan. I believe you waited to long before you set the hook. I use 7/0 circle hooks on my clam rigs and had no problems. I do have problems with the plain bait holding hooks From time to time you will get some gut hook ups. Cuzzie.

I don't normally fish bait, however, I was moved to durring the Fling. I had some Owner 6/0 and 7/0 Octopus Circle hooks on hand for the occasion. Both Bob_E and I used them, and its apparent, after the results, that we had no problem with them what so ever. I am much more comfortable using them, just knowing the likelihood of a gut hooked fish is less.

Those Owner hooks are TANKS!!

--Geoff

------------------

-------------------------

Team L&H

GMiller@StripersOnline.com

I have used circle hooks for a few years now and although I have not taken a lot of Linesides w/ this deal, I have not had any gut hooks... Virtually all hook penetrations have been at the inset corners of the fish's maw... The hook-up rate and landing of fish using circle hooks is very high for me and in fact I have yet to lose a fish w/ such hooks...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

I have been using circle hooks for the past couple years about 50% of the time - and increasing rapidly. While the number of gut hooks has drastically decreased, I have gut hooked a few with the circles. I now use the larger gamakatsu 10/0 or 11/0 and this year have gut hooked only two out of about 25. I leave the hook in by clipping the leader as close as possible. I hope the hook rusts quickly!

I noticed that the gamakatsus are offset a bit which may be the reason for some gut hooking, I can't remember but I don't think they were always offset.