Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cauman85

Live lining bait

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

i have been reading that live lining is pretty much the best way to catch some stripers during the day int he bay.

i have read around for techniques, but what are the best ways to live line?

how far do you leave off your weight (1oz?) to your bait? (4-5 ft?)

size hooks?

hook through the tail or nose?

thanks,

curt

I came across a CLL6000 at a yard sale the otherday for cheap so i picked it up, i'm new to this so an answer to this post would be appreciated by me as well! cool.gif

Fish on!!

View PostLet me help you guys out on some bigger fish.. You will need two rods.

Catch a spot on small side and live line it about the middle of the pier on a bobber four feet down. Hook it in the tail area ( blues)...

Float it out while fishing for more live bait..

I use a 1/2 oz egg sinker about two feet above the hook. Steel leaders are not a bad idea either.

Capt Mike

Use a 2/0 hook and hold on to your pole!

thanks mad deckhand, i now remember seeing that somewhere around here

jbone:

from what i have found reading around, 2-4 feet leader from your sinker, size 4/0 or 2/0 bait hooks, hook the bait through the nose or tail so it will not die and will have better free motion rather than hooking through the mouth

i would like to give kents narrows a try this weekend but we'll see how things work out whether i can make it or not..

If you hook it through the upper lip and out the nostril it will live longer. If you're fishing from shore, casting it out under a slip bobber can work well (depending on how much current). Most people use fish finder rigs, longer leaders are very difficult to cast fyi. 12-24'' is about as long as I'll go from shore.

From the kayak I use a 2/0-5/0 depending on size of the live bait, bigger bait, bigger hook. Use a piece of a plastic bass worm on the shank to keep the hook from turning into the bait. I use 4ft leaders with an egg weight above a swivel and drop them straight down around structure. Works great.

I haven't been out since the second weekend of October, but I am heading out tomorrow and all this weekend.

Biggest so far on the yak was about 34'' this summer at the bay bridge on a live lined spot. It pulled me around some, but I'm hoping to catch a 40''-50'' fish for a better ride. I'll call it quits this month most likely unless we get some decent weather, we'll see. I plan on making a run or 2 down to the eastern shore in december/jan too.

nice, I am hoping to get out this wknd also around the bay bridge. Gonna try some live lining and also some jigging. Just wanna get out on some water n on some fish even if it's some blues

I used fishbites, bloodworms, or night crawlers all summer and it worked well. Night crawlers were actually pretty surprising as I only caught spot on them. On the fishbites or bms I'd catch perch or hardhead occasionally.