Braid friendly Penn 706 with a new crosswind

Rate this topic

Prionotus Tribulus

View PostYou did a great job,l was toying with that idea for the longest time.Glad some one went and did it. l might of never gotten to it because l overcame the problem with brad in a different way. Add this to your mod. I will add yours to mine. From center of Shaft move the pin to .350 center to center, the stroke is a little short on the 704 & 706, And the way the front of the spool flares out leaves a gap up front. line will drop down and you got a birds nest the next cast, not good at night or any time. I have one gear with 4 holes don't exceed .350. play with it. Look on jimmyjam post 704 mod. and look at the 706 that line was reeled on ( not machine wound ) with my mod. yours and

mine should be the ace in the hole. Lets see how does it first.

highfive.gif

View PostForgot about the other mod on my 706 the clutch bearing on the main shaft.

you need an 8mm clutch bearing from McMaster Carr about $11.00 and you have to make a new shaft out of tool steel and harden it were the bearing sits. if you can TNNC coat it great. other wise it will have to be checked often. No big deal with this reel. Make bearing area about .313-.314 any smaller and the bearing wont grab & if to large it wont spin freely. hope this helps. l have to learn how to post pics.take pic of almost every thing l do. Have fun. l

Please English for us NON machinists. Please start selling these mods. Especially the sweet PUMs and this S cut part. PLEASE!

looks good, lays the line flat. what length his that rod and what lb test is that

brad. you should be able to go to a lighter line being the way it lays the line. lm not saying to do that at Montague for bass, but when the albes are around 20#pp a 150 plus cast on problem. once again great job. smile.gif

That a great idea a reel in a box l will take 1-710 1-704 -706 with spear spools.

Theres something about Penn they get it about 98% right.and then fall short. The two mod that where just done on this sight would of gave many of the reel out there now a run for there money a VS type spool what a dream. l had

dealings with Penn in 1989 l had heavily mob the old 450/550/650 and was working in north Philly ,they said they would like to see them off l went,wast of time, they looked and said there design was more them was needed.That reel is now gone to.

Great looking Huge plug. I have a love of large plugs.I once made a big popper like that. named it after my daughter.(called it the Mo-Mo) and wouldn't you know it, at the age of 6 she caught a 30# striper on it! (her first fish ever) right after that fish she had a blue cut it off never to be seen again.

THREAD OF THE YEAR!!!

2011 Grandpa Old Spook Award nominationclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

I picture an old grandpa kinda guy sitting in his messy shop covered with grease tinkering with reels, tools, plugs, all day. May be an older version of Tim Allen from Tool Time suping up power tools and such.tongue.gif

Way to go, and thank you.highfive.gif

Losing the skunk, one cast at a time

View PostTHREAD OF THE YEAR!!!

2011 Grandpa Old Spook Award nominationclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

I picture an old grandpa kinda guy sitting in his messy shop covered with grease tinkering with reels, tools, plugs, all day. May be an older version of Tim Allen from Tool Time suping up power tools and such.tongue.gif

Way to go, and thank you.highfive.gif

+1.

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

That rod is 10 foot and the line is 30 or 40lb Suffix (not sure on pounds because it's from a used reel I bought) Later I want to try putting more backing and see how looks/casts when more full and maybe diffrent diameter lines.

I'm still a young guy, waaay too early for a GOS. Maybe in another 30+ years cwm27.gif

The Spartan reel choice

Thank for the info on the rod. l was thinking on a 10 footer 2 pcs air wave for the 704 or 706 when l go into Bklyn or S.L.trunk outfit. Post pic after you put more backing on, l want to see what happens when you get closer to the top of the lip after a couple of casts.