Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Wachusett = slow

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Managed one fish (laker) in 2 hours fishing up until dark. While I won't devulge where I was fishing, it was one of the more popular locations (I wasn't up for a walk)...but I was amazed no one was there fishing aside from me and I took it as a bad omen, which seemed to come to pass.

I will say that I think the fish are there but still hanging deep - indeed the water felt warmer than the air temp. The one fish I caught was dredged deep and I missed one other hit that was also deep - all my casts along the more shallow shoreline or higher in the water column resulted in absolutely no hits.

I usually wait until mid Nov for that reason, unless we have an exceptionally cool Sept and Oct. They just don't seem to hit lures consistently until that water temp drops a bit.

-bd

View Postalways wanted to fish the chu but its such a long drive from the cape

It's well worth the drive. You think you were in Canada, on a remote lake. It's so big and there are so many spots you can walk in to, it almost has the feel of surf fishing, in that if you like to walk the beach for long distances, you can do that there. I live within walking distance of the Quabbin, but I prefer to fish the 'Chu if I'm going to fish from shore. The fact of no boats on the Chu makes for bigger fish and lots more of them available to the shore angler at the right times of the year.

View PostIt's well worth the drive. You think you were in Canada, on a remote lake. It's so big and there are so many spots you can walk in to, it almost has the feel of surf fishing, in that if you like to walk the beach for long distances, you can do that there. I live within walking distance of the Quabbin, but I prefer to fish the 'Chu if I'm going to fish from shore. The fact of no boats on the Chu makes for bigger fish and lots more of them available to the shore angler at the right times of the year.

Yeah, you'd never know that you're a mere 10-15 min drive from the Lincoln St Dicks Sporting Goods in Worcester or Solomon Pond Mall in Marlboro (if you're on that end of the res)

Went there on Monday this week with no luck, fished thin quinnie first the main lake latter. 2 hits right at dark. But, I swear those lakers know when there is a hook in a shiner, you let them take the line for ever you go to set the hook you feel something heavy for a secound then nothing.

View PostWhen is the Chu closed to fishing? I didn't get there at all this year and I live in Holden, lol.

You can fish there until the last day of Nov - Dec 1 is the first day it's closed and it will remain closed until the beginning of next April. You should get out there if you like that type of fishing because with this cooler weather, it really should start to improve.

View PostYou can fish there until the last day of Nov - Dec 1 is the first day it's closed and it will remain closed until the beginning of next April. You should get out there if you like that type of fishing because with this cooler weather, it really should start to improve.

I fished the crap out of there the last few years and to this day, I have only caught 1 smallie there, lol. I suck.

I did great on Rainbows and Lakers though.....no big Lakers yet. I would LOVE to hook into a big Brownie.

I think I am going to make a couple spooks for the Chu. I tested a recent one and the weighting is good for a nice long cast. With a bigger rod, I think I could really huck one way out....

View PostI fished the crap out of there the last few years and to this day, I have only caught 1 smallie there, lol. I suck.

I did great on Rainbows and Lakers though.....no big Lakers yet. I would LOVE to hook into a big Brownie.

I think I am going to make a couple spooks for the Chu. I tested a recent one and the weighting is good for a nice long cast. With a bigger rod, I think I could really huck one way out....

Concentrate on the areas anywhere from the rt 140 causeway up to the two river basins (and perhaps beyond) for the fish you're looking for. I think the open res itself is mostly a laker thing at this time of year. Not sure if smallies are still active now or not. They often hit those YOY yellow perch that hang around in schools. Not sure if they're legal to use as bait. but I have seen people use them with success (I stick to chucking metals)

Was at The CHU yesterday for about an hour an a half or so, until my hands were numb and could barely tie a knot. Managed 1 19" rat laker on a shiner in the 1st 5 minutes and not a sniff after that. The rain and cooler weather should be improving the fishing daily. Stopped by the Wachusett B&T, he had a survey form there that he handed us, will fill it out to try and extend the fishing time for a couple weeks or until the end of the year or before ice over. Was told there is salmon pushing into the rivers off the Chu as well. Believe the rivers are open year round, may be mistaken, but the Chu Main body closes December 1st. Hope to hit it 1 more time!