The Offical Kiptopeake, Va Thread!!!

Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31

........................................Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches

........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................................... 28 inches

........................................Possession Limit - October 4 through December 31...................2 per person

I was fishing Kipto Thanksgiving night for about 8hrs but I got no bites.

Last wknd I fished the Hi Rise out of a power boat and some 40+lb fish were boated a few pilings down from us. I will be working thru this weekend and then coming back to Kipto Mon till whenever I have to go back to work mid week. The weather looks a bit windy Mon but with the direction from the North it maybe ok for the ships. 

The weekend of the 16th I will be back on the big boat to the Hi Rise. I wish the weather would be calm Tuesday so I can try a paddle out the Hi Rise. Has anyone ever found a way to get out to the Hi Rise section of the bridge by Kayak? If I get the good weather and get off work I want to go for it but I need a buddy for that long paddle. Best of luck for all who make it out this wknd.

Here is the weather report from NOAA:

1NM SSE Kiptopeke VA

Chesapeake BaySkip to Detailed 7-Day Forecast 

Tonight: N wind 5 to 8 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt after midnight. Mostly clear. Waves around 1 ft.

Friday: Variable winds 5 kt or less. Partly sunny. Waves around 1 ft.

Friday Night: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming N 8 to 13 kt in the evening. Mostly cloudy. Waves 1 to 2 ft.

Saturday: N wind 15 to 18 kt. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny. Waves around 4 ft.

Saturday Night: N wind 15 to 17 kt. Mostly clear. Waves 3 to 4 ft.

Sunday: NNE wind 12 to 15 kt. Mostly sunny. Waves 2 to 3 ft.

Sunday Night: NNE wind around 12 kt. Partly cloudy. Waves around 2 ft.

Monday: NNE wind 12 to 15 kt. Mostly sunny. Waves 2 to 3 ft.

Monday Night: N wind 11 to 13 kt. Mostly cloudy. Waves around 2 ft.

KPTV2 8632200 - Kiptopeke

Lat: 37.17°N Lon: 75.99°W Elev: 0

Last Update on Dec 8, 4:00 pm EST

Nearby

Observations

Past

Observations

Wind:

NE 4 KT

Pressure:

NA

Air Temperature:

NA

Water Temperature:

54 °F (12 °C)

Dewpoint:

NA

Wave Hgt/Dir:

NA

Dominant Wave Period:

NA

Visibility:

NA

OK my dumb self can't work the link.

A PA kayaker was rescued from the waters around Kiptopeake around midnight Dec. 9th. Had a PFD and used his cell to call 911. Was rescued but was hypothermic and was in critical condition as of this AM. Search for the article if interested.

Stay safe and be careful. Don't want to read about any more kayakers in the news.

Fisherman aids in kayaker rescue

49-year-old man called from cell phone in water

Updated: Saturday, 10 Dec 2011, 8:35 AM EST

Published : Friday, 09 Dec 2011, 8:06 AM EST

Jessica O. Swink

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Around midnight Dec. 9, a kayaker called 911 from his cell phone to alert authorities that he was in the water.

Virginia Marine Patrol responded from the Cape Charles Coast Guard station, where a 25-foot response boat was dispatched, along with a HH60 helicopter from the air station in Elizabeth City and two Elizabeth City police boats.

According to Lt. Jack Smith and Rhenee Allen with the Coast Guard, the kayaker was pulled from the water near Kiptopeke around 2:30 a.m. A Jayhawk aircrew flew the man to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. Hospital officials say the man's condition had been upgraded from critical to good.

The kayaker was a 49-year-old man from Ambler, Penn., and was suffering from hypothermia when he was pulled from the water. Smith says the man was incoherent and mumbling when he was rescued.

John Bull with the Virginia Marine Resource Commission says the man's name is Johnny Bussart, and he was visiting Sunset Creek Resort on the Eastern Shore. Bull says a local fisherman assisted authorities in the rescue. He heard shouts coming from the marsh and notified the Virginia Marine Police boatcrew.

"The man was wearing a life jacket in this case, which bought precious time in the cold water for responders to get to him," said Lt. Jack Smith.

Smith says the air temperature was in the low 40s and the water temperature was in the low 50s when the man was rescued.

He was at the Kiptopeke launch on Sunday. I am getting my Kayak rigged for launch when he comes over and asked if heard about "the guy rescued last night" I said yes it was all over the radio, he says that was me almost proud. He tells me he launched from around Fishermens island at night by himself with a kayak he knew had a small leak.

I told him as a newbie with a problem boat you had no business launching there, guys like you bring bad press to the rest of us.

I have no more time for him and launch he stops two other guys in my group and tells them the same story.

Founding Member KFA-NY

Captain Kayak Associate

Hobie Team Member

He was at the Kiptopeke launch on Sunday. I am getting my Kayak rigged for launch when he comes over and asked if heard about "the guy rescued last night" I said yes it was all over the radio, he says that was me almost proud. He tells me he launched from around Fishermens island at night by himself with a kayak he knew had a small leak.

I told him as a newbie with a problem boat you had no business launching there, guys like you bring bad press to the rest of us.

I have no more time for him and launch he stops two other guys in my group and tells them the same story.

qft!

This is the kind of thing that gets sweet spots shut down. You can bet we (winter kayak anglers fishing the ships) are a topic of several meetings right now. George and the KFA-NY guys knows how it goes, they have seen it on LI for years.

If I was a regular down there I would maybe think about being proactive and contacting the units that rescued the Dilly. Let them know that guy was an anomaly and not the norm. Or else we might start seeing signs. Know what I mean?

Its been a zoo down there and I am sad to say I have been a part of it. Thinking this trip for me may go dormant like my ISBP pass, snag hook collection, and fishing on Thanksgivings.:(

Oh well, the wheel is turning. You cant slow it down...

Be safe out there guys.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

George, your post just convinced me that this guy is an idiot. As much as I dislike people like this, I also don't want to see himself get killed out there. My guess is that it doesn't matter what you tell him, he'll do what he wants. The rescue should have plainly clued him in that he did something, or several things wrong.

I just came back from Kipto and I have a few details about the recent kayaking rescues. I was at the toll gate of the CBBT heading over to the Eastern Shore on Monday night. The guy in the booth takes a look at my kayak and asks “are you going fishing out there”. Oh yes I tell him of course I am and then he gives me a stern warning about how they just rescued another canoe out on the water. I said I would be careful and went on my way.

At the launch it was just me and one other kayaker I had seen buying eels at the tackle shop in Va Beach. We were the only kayakers about the park on that night. The other kayaker tells me about how the marine police had come over to him and told him all about the recent incidents. He said the officer wanted to know if he had any flares and he did not. So now this guy is having second thoughts but I reassured him after making an assessment of his experience level. Well we fished and everything was great a fine December night out on the Chesapeake Bay.

Tuesday around 10:00am I am getting ready to launch the kayak again and as I am walking back to my car I see an unmarked Marine Patrol car with a small enforcement boat in tow. I stopped to talk and Officer Taylor also wants to know about my safety gear specifically if I have any flares. After reassuring Mr. Taylor I was not likely to be flipping out off Kipto I took the time to get all the detail possible about the recent events. As it turns out there have been two rescues from one on Saturday one on Sunday. The first guy went into the water near the Low Rise of the CBBT and could not self rescue. The first guy was able to get into his dry bag and use his cell phone to call 911. Now the other rescue was the next day and about 10 miles north between the Eastern Shore and a small barrier island. This guy was camping out on Mockhorn Island and called authorities when his boat started taking on water. From what the officer told me it sounded like the guy made it back to shore and then went back out again to retrieve his camping gear and that’s when he went swimming.

If these guys had flares the rescue crews would have likely been able to get them out of the water much faster. Officer Taylor was very clear when he told me they did not want to be pulling any more kayakers out of the Bay.

I would like to give thanks for a job well done by the 911 dispatcher, Virginia Marine Patrol and our USCG.

If you are on big water you need flares as part of your ditch bag. Period. I have to fire mine off they are a few years old and I need new ones.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa