Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ESyakr

The Offical Kiptopeake, Va Thread!!!

80 posts in this topic

3 weeks it should be starting, 4 weeks it should be popping!!! 40-50 lb stripers, 200 yards from shore, easy pond like launches, structure to hide from wind, whats not to like?

If you have been already, share tips, if this year will be your first, post your name and when you'll be there, so we can meet uphighfive.gif

Last year was my first time, and I landed a 45", and lost another that was atleast that big. If I can do it, anyone can. For a complete technique how-to, check out Kayak Kevins site for his Kipto How To article ****************. I will share some tips I picked up last year.

Be prepared to put in the time. I fished over 20 hours before I got the first bite. 8 hours for the second bite. Then others will go out and land one in 20 minutes. The technique is easy, its putting in the time that makes it happen. In about 30 hours total, over 4 trips, I landed a 45" and lost another. It takes time but pays off big time.

Have a good layering and outerwear system. Drytop and waders at the very least, drysuit it the ultimate solution. Use only synthetics and wool for layering underneath. You will sweat, even with "breathable" gear, and if there is any cotton in your layering system, you will freeze. Fleece, wool, and Under Armor are the way to go. It gets cold here. The rag I use to grab eels with froze to an eel...In the middle of the day. Be ready to fish in 20-45 degrees, with 40-50 degree water temps.

Have lights...Several of them. I carry two Scotty Sea Lites. One is always on, the other is a spare. I also carry a head lamp for tying and rigging.

Have fairly heavy tackle. This fishing is very structure oriented. 50 lb mono or braid is nice to have to hoss your trophy away from barnacle covered structure.

Fight with a tight drag and let the kayak wear em out. I had my drag to loose on my 2nd hookup when the 45"+ cow stripped off 40 yards in nothing flat and cut me off around a pole.

Most fish eels, but bunker chunks I'm sure would be deadly, as would trolling. Dont be afraid to break away from what everyone else is doing, you just may slay em.

The current rips here, and I found that "hovering" around structure works great. Be ready to keep your rod in the hold or sit on the butt, so you can paddle and keep in place, or if your a Hobie user, use them peddles!

Boats usually fish further out than we do, but if its windy, they stay close and fish the areas we do. When that happens, be sure to have lights on and keep an eye out. They get real close sometimes, and there are alot of em.

Will be down 12/10-14 with a group of KFA-NY guys. Renting one of the Lodges as we did last year, great place.

Anyone else going at that time stop in and say hello.

Lets hope we have a good year. I also hope I do not have swine flu again.frown.gif

Understand there are no small fish on this method. PLEASE handle these fish with care and dont keep them just cause you can. These are all our #1 top-line breeders and killing one kills millions.

Take a look at YOY from maryland this year and see this was again a very down year, I think the third or fourth in a row.

I am not against harvesting bass, but you dont want to go out and kill the prize Holstien for a few hamburgers. Plenty of meat out there, please not kill the golden goose or there will be no more golden eggs.

Those VA boys SLAUGHTER the big bass out of the boats. Dont believe it? Go hand at Chris' B and T at the end of the day and see a line of 50 boats full of 40's and 50's waiting to be weighed. I will never forget one afternoon there.frown.giffrown.gifconfused.gif

I am very much looking forward to fishing with some great guys and gals down there. See y'all soon. (y'allbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif )

I'm going to try to make a December run this year. I got my Kipto kow last Dec 17th. I can think of no better place to try to land one of the big stripers.

Good advice by ESyakr. Dress warm!! Last year the air temps were in the 30's and the wind was howling. Even though you're close to shore, you can get into trouble fast if you're not prepared. Get good gloves and make sure you have a couple pair!

Kayak Kevins site is good. Kevin was out there last year when I was down there.

This year will be my first trip down there. Are there any motels close to the state park? I will probably be down there mid week to avoid the weekend crowds.

Also what are the fishing license requirements there? I have not fished the VA area of the bay in years.

I am looking forward to dancing with one of the kipto cows this year, Taking a pic of the beauty and sliding it back into the cold water.

I'm making an exploratory trip down there this weekend... I want to check the place out during the day before the big girls start to show up.

MM- let me know when you want to go and we can carpool

I'll be heading down the first or second week of December. The way it looks, SJ Fishwhisperer, Lunchbox and I, and probably Yakman will be taking the ferry to Lewes and motoring on down from there (I'll be on LBI for Thanksgiving and taking the next week off.)

Its definitely a tide thing like Clouser said. Slack current is the time to be on the water, and if you can hit a slack current at night, then its just that much better.

The best time I saw there last year was actually around lunch time, slack current. I saw a 47lb 50"+ caught, I hooked up and lost one, and saw several more landed, all within 30 minutes or so.

Ship, theres hope for you yet...Y'allbiggrin.gif

View PostI'll be heading down the first or second week of December. The way it looks, SJ Fishwhisperer, Lunchbox and I, and probably Yakman will be taking the ferry to Lewes and motoring on down from there (I'll be on LBI for Thanksgiving and taking the next week off.)

I might be there at that time. I just couldn't do it last year.